New
Find
Notify
Tools

Assembly of a Mauser 98 Bolt
 Login/Join

posted
Good morning Gentlemen.

I've a custom Mauser 98 that features a two position wing safety (I believe it might be a Wisner), and it's smarter than I am.

I disassembled my bolt by taking a section of cord and pulling back on the firing pin while unscrewing the bolt shroud.

Now, when I reassemble it, it seems as if I'm one turn out all the time, and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Any advise would be great.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Did you push in on the "Bolt Sleeve Lock"? That little pin sticking out of the front of the sleeve? It will normally contact the bolt on the next to last turn and must be pushed in to allow the sleeve to complete the last turn.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes. I actually made a little spacer that fits into the recess in the shroud to hold the pin to the rearward position.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phil,

Is the cocking piece retracted? How are you holding it back? What you need to do is take the fining pin assembly with all parts attached, place the firin pin tip in a hole to keep it from slipping around, depress the shroud with the safety lever attached and take a dime and slip it between the shroud and cocking piece. Now you can screw it into the bolt. You need to turn in all the way in. Like the above guy said, that locking pin, the spring loaded one on the side of the shroud, may need to be depressed to allow it to go all the way in. After you get the pin in place just pull out the dime.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flip the safety to off, the bolt lock feature is probably stopping you from being able the tighten it up all the way. Or the bolt lock plunger is stuck and needs to be freed up.
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote