Find
Notify
Tools

Just talked to my gunsmith...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted
Poor guy is going into the hospital the 2nd half of January and is gonna be there for a couple of weeks Frowner ! Without going into details, he needs major surgery. Surgery was scheduled for late 2013 - when he'd already met his deductible for the year; but that got put-off due to scheduling problems so now he's got to pony up another deductible for the surgery in 2014. Talk about insult to injury!

So, my difficulty pales in comparison. But I do need a little help finding a basic trigger-guard for a Win 70, post 64, push-feed long action (mid 80's vintage).

I'll be putting the trigger guard onto an HS precision stock. He told me to mention that specifically, as his concern was not to have any "gap" or space between the guard & stock.

Can someone help me out?

Thanks in advance,

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you tried Williams?

Posts: 437 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Williams only makes the one piece for the Winchester, like the BDL for Remington. H-S uses the older type 3 piece, floor plate hinge pinned to the tongue with the trigger guard being a seperate piece. Keep your eye on e-bay and be prepared to 'dig deep' as they go pretty high. I went looking for the same reason not long ago and found the trigger guard and tongue thru the used parts suppliers but no floorplates. The one piece is bigger, width wise, than the other so it could be inletted to fit. Doing that kind of inletting on a synthetic thats already finished isn't nearly as much fun or easy as inletting English walnut.

Posts: 714 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
quote:
H-S uses the older type 3 piece, floor plate hinge pinned to the tongue with the trigger guard being a seperate piece.

Yes, that's exactly what I need. I hadn't thought of trying Ebay...I'll give it a shot.

Thanks!

friar

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have what you're after.
PM sent

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look on page 172 of the Brownells catalog. Williams does indeed make a separate mod 70 trigger guard for the post 64 long action.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave wesbrook:
Look on page 172 of the Brownells catalog. Williams does indeed make a separate mod 70 trigger guard for the post 64 long action.
But no tongue & floor plate that make up the rest of the assembly.

Posts: 714 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
A little more background as to why I took it to the smith...

I picked up a cheap 7 mag on gunbroker...turns out it shoots really well. It had a cheap tupperware stock on it originally, but I bought it because I had a nice HS Precision stock to drop it into. The tupperware stock had no floorplate, of course.

This wasn't a problem, as I had a trigger guard, floor plate, screws, and spring assembly from an earlier model 70 project (a .270 wcf). Or so I thought.

When I put everything together, I found that the bolt was "sliding over the top"/failing to pick-up a cartridge in the upper right side of the stack. It would only fail when there were three carts in the mag, top cart being right side. If there was only one in the mag - again right side - bolt would catch the cart.

So I fiddled with the spring and fiddled some more. This was all during an elk hunt, of course.

Long story short, in addition to needing the trigger guard, I strongly suspect I need a different spring.

Surely I wouldn't need a different follower, would I? A win model 70 PF in .270 should marry just fine to the 7 mag well & cart, shouldn't it?

If the gun didn't shoot so well, I'd just sell it. But it does keep 160 Partitions inside 4" at 400 yards!

Thanks for the help,

friar

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slivers' He only needs (and ask for) the trigger guard, he has the rest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have a PM...

Posts: 44 | Location: s.c. WI | Registered: 18 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brownells no longer catalogs the Williams trigger guard for the model 70 in catalog 66 or on their web site. Only the newer 1 piece version bottom metal. I thought I'd run into that a month ago when I was looking. Good luck with your search. Those part(s) you need are out there, just getting fewer and further between as time goes on.

One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help everyone! Paul had some items close at hand, so I'll be able to move ahead.

I'll keep you up to date on how the feeding issue works out. Hopefully it won't be too much trouble.

And if you would, please keep my smith in your prayers. His name is Kevin, and he's got a bit of a long road ahead. God bless,

friar