New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are the best bases and why????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just wanted to get am idea what everyone likes and why, and what every does not like. Thanks RNS

Posts: 767 | Location: Phoenix, Az | Registered: 31 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
German EAW quick-lock mounts. Low profile, ultra reliable, no levers sticking out. They are imported by NECG

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMHO,
"Best" is fickle enough concept and more difficult still to pin down without any more specifics. I personally use Badger Ordnance on a heavy target/varmint rifle and Talley's on hunting rifles. Won't say they are the best, however, they get the job done.

Regards, Matt.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best IMHO are bases milled from billet and silver solderedfor the individual receiver. This allows the absolute lowest mounting of the scope and is bomb proof. Expensive too.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Best" to me means "none at all" - or better, where no additional base is required, because bases are integral with the receiver. Sako springs to mind. The new Blaser products (R93, K95 etc) also benefit from "integral bases" - even though I would probably not choose this system for the toughest applications (e.g. horseback transportation).

If bases are required, I have had good results with the Leupold "Dual Dovetail" system. For a QD mount, the EAW system is indeed a good one - if expensive.

FWIW - mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by RNS:
I just wanted to get am idea what everyone likes and why, and what every does not like. Thanks RNS

You must be jokeing [Big Grin] The best bases are those who are integrated in the receiver like mauser square bridge action [Big Grin]

I like talley bases and rings, but also EAW mounts.

/ JOHAN

[ 04-30-2003, 22:51: Message edited by: JOHAN ]

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Yes, the best bases are integral to the receiver, IMO. On a Brno/CZ or Sako for instance, most rings (Warne, Talley, etc.) readily slide on and off the receiver and the scope returns to zero.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This question ranks right up there as to if you prefer blondes or redheads.

I have made the Kimber Brownell type QD rings since 1986. The key is to be consistant each time you remove them.

In 1989 I made some prototypes up for John Rigby. These had two screws on top and machined to fit the Brno 602. Little did I know that they put them on the prototype 450 Rigby. They held up fine and would return close enough for a heavy gun.

In 1990 I started making what I call my magnum rings. These are the 20mm dovetail from the Brno action. Then I make a wide (7/8") base to fit many actions. These bases have a .075" high recoil shoulder front and rear. I have not had one of these come loose yet under recoil.

One of my customers did some tests. After he had sited in his 300 Win Mag. He then removed the scope and reinstalled the scope between shots. His next group only increased 3/4" from the first group. Kimber and the NRA also did some test like this in the late 80's. They found usually a 1 MOA increase in group size, if you removed the scope and reinstalled it.

The key is to find what you are comfortable with and use it enough to hit what you are aiming at.

Posts: 1482 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the problems with the CZ, Ruger and Sako is that most mount systems are automatically eliminated. The tapered dove tails on the Sako are not without problems.

I think screw and epoxy is the best system and if you want to be 2000% sure, then screwed and soldered.

In my experience and when mounts are correctly installed, the problem area is in the method of attachment of the rings to the base and not the bases to the rifle.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of papaschmud
posted Hide Post
You didn't mention if you need QR so we'll assume not. You also asked about bases, so that rules out the rifles on which they are integral. It's hard to beat a steel cross slot weaver style base for brute strength. This style also makes the ring to base joint that Mike mentioned less iffy. Leupold Dual Dovetails would be the next option, but that limits ring choices. Still hard to beat steel weaver's that are put together right.

Gabe

Posts: 410 | Location: Granite City, WI | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Integral of course, but you're probably looking at buying, so get a one piece base for adding rigidity to the action if you like, one with a recoil lug like Badger and NF does, I do, or a two piece in a Weaver or Picatinny style and have it bedded with it mounted tight to whichever end is higher. Badger, NF or Leupold MK4 rings, lapped and your set. [Smile]

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RNS,

Everbody (including me) has their own likes and dislikes, when it comes to rings and bases.

My critieria for good bases and rings revolve around cost, repeatabilty in remounting, design (low mounting ability), ease of mounting,looks, and workmanship.

What works on one rifle, won't work on another, due to a number of factors.

Those I like:

Leupold QR - fairly inexpensive (compared to Talley's and Warne's) about $70.00 for rings and bases, excellent workmanship, low mounting ability, and very repeatable. The "best" for the money now available. I use these currently on an FN mauser, Rem 700, Weatherby MKV, Pre-64 and post-64 Model 70, White MZloader, and TC Encore.

Leupold QRW - More expensive (about $80.00) and more limited in bases types. Very good and very repeatable. Not a pretty as QR's IMHO.

A better alternative is to use Leupold QRW bases (all steel) and match them with the regular Burris Z-rings. Very light and all steel. This combo brings the whole price down to about $45.00. No levers to get stuck on stuff, and very repeatable. I use them on a Beretta Mato and Savage 110. This is the cheapest and lightest combo that works very in a number of applications.

Talley's = In all probibilty the "best" rings and bases currently made. Tally's have two down-sides. Price well over $125. for bases and rings, and their "low rings" are more like medium's. That is they do not mount very low at all.

Currently use them (without levers) on a original Oberndorf Sporter in 375 H&H. The bolt will not abide a really low mounted scope, so the Talley's work and look just fine. A little hard than QR's to mount a scope into.

Warne's = not quite as well finished a Talley's, same problem as Talley with scope low mounting and equally expensive. Made in more style's than Talley. Have them on a Cooper Model 21. Many folks seem to have problems with Warne's in some applications (CZ's, Rugers and Sako's). Cannot really recommend them. But some folks think they are the "best". Oh well, each to their own.

Conetrol = Made for the hard to fit rifle. If it was made, Conetrol has bases to fit. Not cheap (selling for around $125.00), and in all probibilty the "best" looking base and ring combination going. Their only problem they are a complete "pain in the ass" to mount. Not really repeatable, unless you like to swear a lot. Also they will "draw blood" if not handled with care. They will add a host of new words to your vocabulary. But I do like the way they look.

Had them on a Steyr Professional, and a custom Sako (Daptar bases). Lack of repeatabilty, finger cuts, and PITA mounting always made me go with something else, if it could be found. But they sure look good.

Standard Redfield, Leupold, Burris, Millet bases and rings. Work fine, look pretty good and are cheap. Not really repeatable, so I tend to use something else. I like to have at least two scopes for every rifle I own, so repeatabilty is a must for me at least.

Weaver = they work, I guess but are ugly (my opinion) and they are the home of crooked crosshairs.

Others:

Never use Dual dovetails so cannot comment.

Have had a number of Sako's and prefer Leupold's Sako rings over Sako's. Easier to mount a scope. About $50.00 a copy.

Talley Bases for Ruger rings. Don't know if they are still made, but are pretty neat and cheap. Had them on .416 Taylor, a couple of TC muzzleloaders.

That's the extent of my use.

Bob

Posts: 439 | Location: Goldsboro, NC 27530 | Registered: 25 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like Leupold's Dual Dove Tails. I'm not worried about taking a scope off and on, so that's not an issue. They are inexpensive, strong, and have clean lines.

Posts: 210 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: 20 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
 - Guys- these are a wide sculpted base (.900") that I build for Talley rings to relocate them closer for compact and European stlye short bodied scopes. If these are "glued and screwed" you have great holding capabilities.

[ 05-02-2003, 05:55: Message edited by: Michael S. ]

posted Hide Post
I don't know if they are the "best", but I like Badger Ordinance and Leupold MK IV. Both are very solid.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Ralphie...

Mike

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Michael S.,

What is the description of the rifle that we are looking at? The mounts and rings look good there, what height are the rings?

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
Can't comment on the bases, but I love Burris signature rings. They hold the scope solidly, won't leave a scratch, and are very forgiving.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Holland "bulletproof" bases, base and ring are one piece, extra wide footprint on tube to prevent any slippage.

Posts: 107 | Location: Brentwood, CA, USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunter Jim

It is a current production M70 that has been reworked and barreled in 6.5-06. A Classic style American walnut stock,ebony tip, checkered steel grip cap, two screw inletted swivel studs and Dec pad with hand rubbed Pro Oil finish. (and checkering) The Talleys are the low ring, I don't remember the height offhand.

I have just brought the bases to the general market, they have only been available on my custom rifles until now. I am currently making them for the Win M70 and the Rem M700.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have ~50 rifles and 25 scopes that are always moving around, so I standardize on Weaver mounts.
The Burris Z rings are good for final application, but poor for switching around. Weaver Grand Slam rings work well for swithchig around.

I make custom mounts from old style Tapco AR-15 risers. These are basically Aluminum with anodizing and the top looks like a Weaver rail. I turn the riser upside down and mill a radius to match the reciever. Then it is drill, tap, and epoxy.

On Mausers I get Weaver or Warne brand steel Weaver mounts.
I epoxy them in place with the screws torqed to one inch pound. After the expoxy cures I apply full torque.

A friend of a freind does anodizing for $5, and I hope to try that soon. Here is a picture of my friend's 91/30 Mosin Nagant mount he made. He likes the Williams over side rings.  -

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Michael S.

Nice bases. Can you still use the open sights with those bases???

Posts: 767 | Location: Phoenix, Az | Registered: 31 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like custom made and fitted bases for Talley Quick Detach rings...Bases fitted to a surface ground reciever and then surfaced ground to match return to exact zero with quick detachable rings. Also the custom base can be made lower.

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote