New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win 70 stock fit question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am selling a Win 70 stock from a newer Classic version. Rifle is a long action (.338 WM).
Several people have asked me if this would fit a pre 64 W70 and I havent a clue.
Will it fit?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
No it won't.....two different inlets.

The pre-64 is shorter than the long-action post-64 Classic and longer than the short-action post-64 classic.

There are a total of 4 different inlets for Winchester....

Pre-64
Post-64 long-action
Post-64 Short-action
Post-64 Super-Short-action

On the long action, in the magnum calibers, there will also be more material removed in the rear of the ejection port area, though the rest of the receiver, as well as the bottom metal are the same.

Winchester caused plenty of confusion amongst those that weren't hip to what was going on when the "classics" were brought out. They marketed them as "pre-64", yet they were not.

It's a question we get asked often and is probably something they heard plenty of too, which is why they drop the pre-64 nomenclature and stuck with just "classic" to describe the new rifles with controlled-round feeding.

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would add one more to Mr. Williams' list.
Pre-64 "Cloverleaf" tang.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think he was only referring to the bottom metal but, you are correct.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eddieharren:
I would add one more to Mr. Williams' list.
Pre-64 "Cloverleaf" tang.

You're right, the pre-war would have a different inlet on the rear tang, though the rest of the receiver and bottom metal would be the same.

If you note bottom metal changes, there are 3 more that include all of the Post-64's with one-piece bottom metal inletting. Not very many aftermarket stockers jumped on that bandwagon, but I suspect in the coming years that will change, since all of the new Winchesters will have the one-piece bottom metal in either aluminum or steel. The days of 3 guard screws are over on all new production.

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote