Notify
Tools

Stuck in Kuwait!!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted
Howdy everyone!!!

I made it to Kuwait but i am stuck here for a few days waiting on a flight to Iraq. We were supposed to fly out twice already but we keep getting set back. At least it is really good living conditions here and I can play on AR. I am hopoing I will still have access to AR up north. I am currently at Ali Al Salem air base in Kuwait and they have really built it up since I was last here. They even have McDonalds and a KFC if you can imagine that. Nothing like seeing the golden arches in the middle of the desert. We are living in tents but they now have concrete floors, real bunks instead of cots, and AC. Plus the food here is pretty good. If life is this good up north I am going to get spoiled.

I want to thank all of you who sent all the great PM's and emails. It is a nice morale boost.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stay away from the junk food Bill. I want to see a mean LEAN fighting machine when you get back.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
Stay away from the junk food Bill. I want to see a mean LEAN fighting machine when you get back.

Come on now lets not crack jokes okay jumping

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Hell, they even have a Fuddruckers. Smiler

Keep your head down over there!

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
Be careful and I agree stay away from the fast food that shit will kill you!! Thank You!!

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck. The fast food may kill you but at least it don't clog the system like MRE's. Wink

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
M1 Tanker: Bill, I thought I'd voice my apprecietion for what you and the thousands of other people over there are doing for us. May God bless you Bill. From the other post it appears as if you have solid backing, and I am certain you do. I know we have a president who backs you all the way, and with the exception of some Holywood types ... oh well, gotta stop there. I spent, off-and-on from 1965 until 1972 in Vietnam. When we got back home we were informed to not say a word about where we had been, because folks would actually spit on us. Well, I was never one to keep my mouth quiet, and I was never spat upon, but I did get into several heated discussions while I went through college to get a degree in journalism. Life these days are totally different. I saw a news broadcast one night while I was living in New Mexico where a group of ladies and men spent time in the Sun Airport in Albuquerque welcoming home returning troops they did not know. It really touched me to see that. I trust you will do the job you need to do. When you get back home again, I hope you get to do all the things you now only dream about. God Bless ... your friend, Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Bill...have you sighted in the scope on the “Golden Arches†yet? Smiler

I expect some pictures of the rifle and the scope posted on here.

beer

Ooooops, sorry, no beer till November! Smiler

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 323:
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:

Come on now lets not crack jokes okay jumping

John & Chic,
NO burgers or junk food for me!!! I made a gaol to come back at 165 which is what I weighed after my last deployment. I figure that with wearing 70 pounds of gear (including rifle and body armor) it will either trim me down real fast or muscle me up into the hulk.

William Berger

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7x57mm:
M1 Tanker: Bill, I thought I'd voice my apprecietion for what you and the thousands of other people over there are doing for us. May God bless you Bill. From the other post it appears as if you have solid backing, and I am certain you do. I know we have a president who backs you all the way, and with the exception of some Holywood types ... oh well, gotta stop there. I spent, off-and-on from 1965 until 1972 in Vietnam. When we got back home we were informed to not say a word about where we had been, because folks would actually spit on us. Well, I was never one to keep my mouth quiet, and I was never spat upon, but I did get into several heated discussions while I went through college to get a degree in journalism. Life these days are totally different. I saw a news broadcast one night while I was living in New Mexico where a group of ladies and men spent time in the Sun Airport in Albuquerque welcoming home returning troops they did not know. It really touched me to see that. I trust you will do the job you need to do. When you get back home again, I hope you get to do all the things you now only dream about. God Bless ... your friend, Tom Purdom

Thanks for your kind words. It is incredible to know you have so many people supporting you. We landed in Maine for a fuel stop on the way here and were greeted by a group of folks who volunteer to meet the military folks coming and going. There were about 40 of them and they had drinks and snacks waiting along with free use of cell phones to call loved ones. it is real humbling to be greeted by a group of people who are so willing to take time from their lives just to take are of us. I dont think I have ever been hugged by so many little old ladies though.

William Berger

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:
Hey, Bill...have you sighted in the scope on the “Golden Arches†yet? Smiler

I expect some pictures of the rifle and the scope posted on here.

beer

Ooooops, sorry, no beer till November! Smiler

Rick,
I will get my final zeroes after I get in country. But i will post some pics for you. I have to get a new digital camera though. I left mine with the family so my wife can send pics of the kids to me. I figure they are a lot cuter to look at than my carcass.

William Berger

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
What TomP said! Thank you! Our prayers are with you and the rest of our folks over there.

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Bill...you ought to email Saeed and have him come pick you up in his private jet and take you over to UAE while you’re waiting! Smiler

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
Best of luck M1!

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never made it to Al Salem, I got to spend 6 months in Al Jaber(in 1997 I believe) before they closed it down(i think).We went to Camp Doha to pick up some goods from the BX there once or twice. Jaber had NOTHING except toiletries, potato chips, and kool aid mix.

Hope you have a injury free trip. you need to take some pics of yerself in one of Saddam's old palaces and post it! When we deploy to Iraq, it is only to the green zone, so we never get to see anything like that at all. Stay safe.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Bill, The very best of luck to you and all our troops. May you all be home soon. Thank you for the service, and dream of the hunts which await your return. God Speed.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill, drop me an e-mail when you can. I have a couple of questions about shipping a couple of things to you.

Also, did you ever get a scope for your gun you were taking over?

thanks and take care jimmyd223@comcast.net

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
William,

Hope you have a good tour. Do good. Go safe.

Our small prayers are with you all.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
William Bill great to hear from you. Please keep us posted if you are able & let us know if you need anything.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck when you get up there, I just came back from Irag to Ft Carson, with 3ACR, I aint a M1 tanker,but a M1 mechanic.... Well Maintenance Supervisor now....Good Luck over there and stay safe!!

Posts: 61 | Location: FT Carson CO | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
Hey M1 did you ever get the kimber up and running before you left?? and what about the truck axle 308, that I wanna shoot one of these days?? If you get too bored you need to hope a flight and go visit saeed, I bet he has a lot of toys to play with

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cummins cowboy:
Hey M1 did you ever get the kimber up and running before you left?? and what about the truck axle 308, that I wanna shoot one of these days?? If you get too bored you need to hope a flight and go visit saeed, I bet he has a lot of toys to play with

Hey, hey, hey... Gale McMillan made that “truck axle!†beer

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:
quote:
Originally posted by cummins cowboy:

Yep they are both up and running. Kimber put on an awesome piece of wood and replaced the barrel. And all in less than a week!! And the McMillan truck axle is scary accurate. When I take Xmas leave after i get back we will have to go out and let you get some trigger time.

Hey, hey, hey... Gale McMillan made that “truck axle!†beer

And one heck of a truck axle it is!!!!

William Berger

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Go Navy beat Army,

Stay alive over there man. When you hear that Navy EP-3 flying overhead giving the Iraqi's radiation poisoning keep your head down.

Thank god the stupid ass airforce isn't hunting tanks anymore.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:

HEY! I take offense to that remark!

Besides, its the CHAIR Force...

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know what they say...Once a bullet leaves the barrel, or a bomb leaves the plane, they ain’t “friendly†no more!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Go Navy beat Army,

Stay alive over there man. When you hear that Navy EP-3 flying overhead giving the Iraqi's radiation poisoning keep your head down.

Yep, and be sure you don't drop the soap when a Navy guy is in the shower at the transient quarters.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
quote:
Go Navy beat Army,

Yep, and be sure you don't drop the soap when a Navy guy is in the shower at the transient quarters.

LD

You can drop the soap all you want...just don’t bend over to pick it up when a swabbie is around.

Of course, anyone that would shower with a swabbie deserves whatever he gets. Smiler

Do they still call their shirts “Blouses?â€

One of Us
posted Hide Post
besides, who wants to ride around on a penis shaped boat and be called seamen?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rick, in the AF we still call our BDU shirts blouses sometimes too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill:
Stay safe and get back to Carson, then look me up I'm just 40mi south.

You can thank my long time buddy Joe martinez for that a/c you're enjoying too!! joe_mtz@yahoo.com, Right after he retired from 23yrs Army, went to work for the German Gov. First thing they did was ship him to Saudi to fix the a/c's, then to the Palace right across from where they caught Saddam a month after he left. Told me: "every night there's mortar's drop in the compound". I told him to get his ass out of there, so now he's in Korea.

Anyway, wish you and all your buddies well, stay safe and come home all in one piece.

George
usa/72

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill, I hope things go well for you. Thanks again for your help with the PM Monthly. Stay in touch.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heard from Bill this morning and he’s doing well. He said to give his best to all who have posted here and the thank everyone for all the wonderful words and support.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Rick,

Tell him I said hi and thanks!

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote