THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Mauser feeding & ejection problem driving me nuts.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser feeding & ejection problem driving me nuts.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Well I was puting together my buddies. 375PDK on a converted military 98 using a MKX bottom. I had opened the bottom of the action to match a MKX. I then reduced the wall thickness front and back on box to allow a 3.45"oal. Since the case is blown out shoulder foward I relieved the thick area of the front sides of the box. With the M98 bolt it is sliding over the case head. Oops needed to relieve the action a little since the wall of tghe box was further back. Now only misses one out of 10. Frowner The box has a strong spring. On extraction the case will not eject the case is under the extractor is hit by the ejector but doesn't eject. So I picked up a MKX bolt it feeds the cases without a miss and will toss the dummy case with bullet about 3'. Confused

The M98 bolt seems to bind about .5" from fully open. I've lapped it and can't see were it is now hitting. The MKX bolt doesn't bind and travels smoother.

There appears to be a little more space between the extractor and bolt face on the M98. I'm going to swap it out and try again.

The MKX is a complete bolt the M98 is stripped. I can't see how that would be an issue.

What am I missing?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
The M98 bolt seems to bind about .5" from fully open. I've lapped it and can't see were it is now hitting. The MKX bolt doesn't bind and travels smoother.

There appears to be a little more space between the extractor and bolt face on the M98. I'm going to swap it out and try again.

The MKX is a complete bolt the M98 is stripped. I can't see how that would be an issue.

What am I missing?

Is the bow in the extractor dragging in the guide slot @ the rt/rear bridge as it is being
drawn back?? Mite try a different extractor?? Is the bolt face rim alowing sufficent clearance at the bottom for the cart. head to slip up the bolt face & under the extractor? Smiler

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is the bow in the extractor dragging in the guide slot @ the rt/rear bridge as it is being
drawn back?? Mite try a different extractor?? Is the bolt face rim alowing sufficent clearance at the bottom for the cart. head to slip up the bolt face & under the extractor?

I thought it would have been the bow as well. Except the drag is the last 1/2" of opening. I put lapping compound on it cycled it about 50 times and could not see a drag mark. I will but another extractor on it tomorrow. There is plenty of room. Maybe to much (is that possible). The ejector looks like it is hitting hard when I do a hard opening. But does not eject the round. The same effort with a MKX bolt will throw the case several feet. It is passing over the case.

I've fooled with M98s for years but this one is eating my lunch.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are using a military bolt do you have cosmoline in the ejector slot. Could possibly be your cause of drag in the last .5" and not letting the ejector go into place.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you are using a military bolt do you have cosmoline in the ejector slot.

Yes it did but I found that early when the ejector was being held to the outer edge.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
This probably has no bearing on your problem but you never know...............

I few years ago I had a .35 When on a FN action that would feed and extract perfectly. But it would not eject.

To make a long story short, the extractor blade was binding. I had restocked the rifle and I had inadvertently drilled the hole for the bolt stop screw off center. When the screw tip entered the hole and the guard screws were tightened, the bolt stop screw was pushed to one side and this caused the ejector blade to bind. I enlarged the hole and my problem went away.

If It Doesn't Feed, It's Junk.

Posts: 408 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Is by any chance the ejector slot in the bolt not DEEP enough. That would explain the binding AND ejection failure.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
Is by any chance the ejector slot in the bolt not DEEP enough. That would explain the binding AND ejection failure.

Yes indeed! With the bolt binding approximately .5 from being fully open and not ejecting, the two symptoms definitely sound related. Comparing the amount of protrusion and position of the tip of the ejector within the face of the bolt between the Mk X bolt and the 98 bolt should help solve, or, eliminate that as the problem.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Thanks I will check in the morning and see if I can tell the difference between the two as well as install another extractor. Trying to wrap my mind around it. The ejector is in contact along the bolt from front to back and slips into the slot how would that cause a bind? I'm sure it is something simple. Sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees now days.

Killing time before dinner I pulled the ejectors from the M98 action and a MKX laying next to it. The M98 had a elongated hole the MKX a round one. I've never paid attention before and I have swapped between the two types of actions. What is the purpose of the elongated hole?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I believe gas relief. Try removing the boltstop/ejector and see if the bolt still binds. This would eliminate the ejector as being part of the binding problem. If the slot is not deep or wide enough and the ejector is catching it could have an effect on the bolt smoothness and if it were not far enough into the slot the ejector might not be hitting the rim of the case.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
I believe gas relief.

Nope, the elongated hole was to provide a little extra cushion when the bolt was withdrawn forcefully.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
rem721,
Sorry I thought he was talking about the bolt body. Just didn't read what I read,for me that's easy.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hear ya. thumb

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just didn't read what I read,for me that's easy

Happens to me more often than not anymore.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll check them out tomorrow. Hope you all are having a great holiday.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i enjoyed reading this to see what i could learn.

it was enough to convince me to stick with top break rifles - singles & doubles.

they just don't have these problems.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
i enjoyed reading this to see what i could learn.

it was enough to convince me to stick with top break rifles - singles & doubles.

they just don't have these problems

Yep a perfect reason to trash a bolt action because one shade tree had trouble finding an issue on an action someone else had sporterized. Wait a minute. I can't seem to remember the last time I had to regulate a bolt action. But my memory does have holes in it.

Thanks too all. As to the tight spot on opening. Yep an ejectot/slot issue. The ejector had just a slight bend in it. The MKX slot must have been just enough wider that I didn't feel it. That issue solved. Looking at the extractor whoever (not me) had opened it up to allow it to slip over the rim had done a terrible job. Replaced it and a loaded case is tossed across the garage.

Thanks for the help. Can't believe it took me removing the ejector 7 or 8 times to see the bend. Roll Eyes

Happy New Year.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K