Find
Notify
Tools

barrel threads--Mauser to Ruger?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted
I have a new barrel taken from a 98 Mauser that is chambered for 338-06AI. Someone told me they want to put it on their Ruger #1 action--the threads are different aren't they? I guess there's a possibility the barrel could be turned down slightly at the shank and rethreaded?? Whoever knows please help! Also, is there a source that lists the different thread sizes for the different commercial actions?
Thanks and good hunting,
Andy

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
<333-OKH>
posted
One place to find the thread size and shank size is Bolt Action Rifles by Frank de Haas. The thread size and shank size are different Mauser to Ruger and to my nonlinear mind it looks as if there would not be enough shank to turn down to rethread to a Ruger.

<Sparticus>
posted
I believe that the Ruger is a 1" with a 16 threads per inch. [Cool]

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
that can be done.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have cut down many Mausers to fit Rugers, but I'll tell you, rebarreling a # 1 is about a big pain in the a... there is, with tht extractor slot.

But your question is good... yes, it can be done.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rethreading part of the job is no big deal and easily done. However, the cartridge protrusion on a mauser barrel is typically around .110" while on the No.1 it is .005 or less depending on how much clearance the breech end of the barrel has. While it would be possible to set the barrel up so that the prestent protrusion would work in the No.1 it would be entirely wrong to do so. So in the end the barrel could be fitted to the Ruger but the chamber would have to be deepened. Since it is unlikely the reamer used would be the same as the existing neck there is a possibility that it would be necessary to set the barrel back to avoid a ridge in the neck. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3782 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote