New
Find
Notify
Tools

scope mounting problems
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
while trying to mount a new nikon monark 2x7 in waren qd mounts on a rem 700 long action Ive found that the tube is to short to allow the rings to reach the mounts.What can I do?

Steve

Posts: 182 | Location: On the Yentna River, Ak. | Registered: 23 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Get extension bases.Brownells sells them (or at least for a mauser) This will allow you to move the front ring back or the rear forward or both to fit.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
Assuming you're using Weaver-style bases with the Warne QD mounts, get a Weaver Grand Slam (steel) front extension base (reversible), Midway Part#419-029 and rear base Part#148-707.

S40

Youth and vitality are wasted on the young.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help ramrod.Brownells had exactly what I needed.I'd been to midway & natchez and could'nt find a base,any base that might work with this scope and QD rings.Thanks again.

Steve

Posts: 182 | Location: On the Yentna River, Ak. | Registered: 23 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
Get extension bases.Brownells sells them (or at least for a mauser) This will allow you to move the front ring back or the rear forward or both to fit.

I have seen quite a few newer scopes recently which have tube sections which are just too bloody short. In many cases, the solution has been to get a scope with a longer tube! For example, a friend of mine wanted to put a new Leupold 1.5X-6X on his CZ 550 in .416 Rigby-sorry about that!! Just could not be mounted with CZ rings.......

For some reason, many older scopes seem not to have had this problem to the extent that a lot of today's designs do.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
For some reason, many older scopes seem not to have had this problem to the extent that a lot of today's designs do.

I agree. It has gotten to be a real pain in the butt. Just normal 3X9s on a mauser are against the front ring if not needing an extension. That is with normal LOP. I just put a Titan 1.5-6 on a Whitworth needed an extension in the front. Wonder if the scope manufacture checks the dimensions of normal rifles.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote