Find
Notify
Tools

Now what??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
So I ordered a LH Montana action.
The holes in my collection are .358 , 404 , or 458.
I like to do the right thing so I am looking for a belt less case.
First choice would be a 360 Imperial, these are the cartridges that originated from BC Canada and Remington made into the RUM fam. only they stopped at the 338.
The 358 STA has the same output but it�s based on the 8 MM Mag.(belt)
If I can find a 360 Reamer I am set.
Second a 404 Jeff. Since I will never go to Africa (other than maybe see my uncle) this cal. alto a classic is of limited use here in western Canada, not only that but at $250 die set, $60 for 20 brass, $80 for 50 bullets not exactly cheap to shoot.
Third: a 458 or a Lott, would be mainly a short-range plinker with cast B like my 45/70 besides it has a belt.

So I really don�t know what to do.

Regards Martin

P.S. Can one form 404 brass from one of the RUM cartridges the dimensions are close??

Posts: 328 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the dimensions are pretty close Martin, but the Rem cases have a rebated rim. There's still a 'smith in BC doing the Imperial line of cartridges. His name escapes me at the moment, but I'm sure some of the BC posters here should know him. If it was me, I'd do the 358 first, then the 458, then the 404. I know the 404 has a certain antique charm, but I think the 35 would be much more useful. Just my two cents worth though. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Yukon257>
posted
I think the gunsmith you're looking for is Nobby Uno(sp?), he was one of the owners/gunsmiths of the Imperial line.
Saw his ad in the Access paper once and am quite cetain he resides in Courtenay, BC
Hope this helps

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Imperial cartridges were based on the .404 case dimensions. Norma and RWS brass in .404 is smaller at the head than the Rem. Ultramag brass. If you had a sloppy chamber, something cut with a reamer of "generous" proportions, you might benefit from using the bigger Rem. cases. If you have a reamer ground I would go with Norma brass and base my spec's. on those dimensions. Or use Dakota brass and dimensions but it might be a bit short for your Imperial. Some Dakota brass is made by Norma and some is old stock, made by a U.S. company.

Posts: 275 | Location: NW USA | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guy's
Just got back from the gunshow in Edmonton 6 hours back and forth lots of snow.
Was able to find some cartridges to compare.

404 Jeff RWS Rim diam.537" diam base (just in front of the rim.540"

375 RUM rim d. .532" base .545

360Imp (found one)rim diam .530 ,base diam .542.

So The Imp cases are the same as Rum's

Jay;I only have the one shell in 404 and as I measure it the Rum has a.005"smaller rim but a .005" bigger base.
I was wondering if a 404 die may push that 5 th in.

Dan did you go to the show?
Y257: thanks for the tip I will try and find him.

I realy want find a 360 reamer so if any of you hear of anybody I would appriciate letting me know.
Email mdbeijs@telusplanet.net

Thanks Martin

Posts: 328 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote