New
Find
Notify
Tools

WINCHESTER MODEL 70 EXTRACTOR-REPLACEMENT
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi, who makes the spring steel replacement extractors for the new "CLASSICS"?

Posts: 129 | Location: Kennerdell,PA | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wisner and Williams. I have some Wisners and just ordered a Williams for comparison. Williams told me theirs was the longest on the market but it aint as long as Jim's.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Post by Williams on AR AR Post

Williams Website

Wisners Website

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The extractors that I made several years ago are 4.90 OAL
I only have left hand ones still in inventory of that length.

The extractors that Wisner's Inc have on hand are 4.50 OAL,
in both RH and LH, Std and Mag.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim, why not keep them at 4.9. That length works with an unaltered action and also works with an action that has had the ejection port opened?

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Jim, why not keep them at 4.9. That length works with an unaltered action and also works with an action that has had the ejection port opened?

Chuck

Making the extractor that long causes a little problem in the fixturing of them for the machine operations, plus 4.545, which is what we are making ours to, from what I'm told, will handle anything that you're planning on stuffing in there. The length on ours is .120" longer than the factory originals.
Even on long cartridges, it doesn't require that much material being removed from the rear bridge to properly eject the case. Where your problem will be is in the clearance in the front receiver bridge area of the ejection port. Now, granted, for loading, it's nicer to have a little more room, but you don't want to be widdling on that receiver anymore than absolutely necessary.
The extractor isn't the easiest part in the world to make, infact, it's considered by some to be the most difficult of the parts for the Model 70, 03 Springfield, and Mauser 98's.
The biggest reason being that it has a very long tail that likes to cause harmonics and distort while being machined. The longer the tail, the worse this becomes. With all this trouble in manufacturing, the extra long extractor will only generate about 2% of the total sales. The other 98% will be able to use the lengths that Jim and I have made without problems. So, in short it more or less breakdown to an economics issue verses practicality.

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What is "wrong" with the factory extractor?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote