Find
Notify
Tools

7 mag to 458 or 416
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents,

I have a left handed Remington Model 700 in 7 mm mag. Is this action long enough to re-barrel to 416 Rem? I'm sure it can be done in 458 Win. mag. Would more than re-barreling be necessary. Would a cross bolt have to be installed?

Thanks.
Roger QSL

Posts: 4428 | Location: Queen Creek , Az. | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Roger,

Remington uses the same action for all its long-actions (from .25-06 on up).

A cross-bolt is a good idea in anything .375H&H & up.
Both my LH .375s (Sako & M-70)have them, as do my LH 7mmSTW (M-70) and .338 (Sako). It's cheap insurance against a broken stock.

George
P.S. It's bad enough you like the .45-70 for Cape buffalo, now you want a push-feed .416??? Zoikes!
[Eek!] [Eek!] [Big Grin] [Wink]

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George,

Looks as if your a leftie too. Wish we had the great choice of guns like the righties do.

Since reading all the stuff from the "Boys That Know", I decided to go with a "Big Hammer"!

However, I still will "Do The Buff" with the LAF gun should I win the Raffle. (I'm going to win, HI).

Push feed, havn't had a single jam in my left handed stainless stalker in 375. But again, I havn't chased any DG with it either.

Sure enjoy the friendly back and forths you encounter at this site. It amazing what you can learn from the many posts made here. Even when the comeback is a little off key.

Show me some of those smiley faces when I come back from Zim, with a record Cape Buff. I'm sure Rob is going to put on to one. HI

Roger QSL

Posts: 4428 | Location: Queen Creek , Az. | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, I have done a lot of them. If a wood stock, need two crossbolts. If it is a McMillan stock, it needs to have the McMillan "Magnum Fill". I also epoxy in a wrist reinforce rod for the wood stocks. And I put SS pillars in both the wood and FRP stocks.

Also needed is a Holland's recoil lug. And a good bedding job with non shrink high strength epoxy bedding compound in both the wood or FRP stock. Why the Holland's lug? It is thicker and much stronger than the standard lug, plus it is ground flat. I have seen the standard wimpy lug bend on high kickers with full loads. One does not want to find this occurrence when in the bush 10,000 miles away from your favorite gun plumber!!!!

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John,

Thanks, have you in my favorites.

Roger QSL

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been advised, I forget who by to have a barrel recoil lug on anything over .375 H&H [Confused]

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is true, I highly recommend a second lug on the barrel.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote