One of Us
posted
http://custommausersbygma.blog...ser-rifle-built.html

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Winchester made such an action from 1925 with its Model 54 up until the last of the original Model 70s in 1964, when the company discovered that it was even cheaper and more profitable to manufacture simple push-feed actions that were adequate for light-duty North American hunting. Ruger currently makes such a Mauser-type action on its low-cost investment-cast receiver.

The Ruger is a push feed?

quote:
Other American companies, notably Weatherby and Remington, never attempted to build Mauser-type actions, unless you count Remington’s sporterizing of a few leftover P17 Enfields.

I'd count them. A few?

...that's one humble bunch over there at GMA.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not sure if this was a question. In case it was. The original Ruger 77 and the first release of the MKII were push feed with a Mauser claw like extractor. The later MKII are CRF. The early MKIIs could be converted to CRF with a simple opening of the bottom of the bolt face.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:

Not sure if this was a question. In case it was. The original Ruger 77 and the first release of the MKII were push feed with a Mauser claw like extractor. The later MKII are CRF. The early MKIIs could be converted to CRF with a simple opening of the bottom of the bolt face.

I seem to recall the extractor situation being discussed as you state, thanks.

quote:
The later MKII are CRF

The GMA "article" ignores this.

I have a problem with the article, certainly not with you Wink

Your information is appreciated.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
I have a problem with the article

What article? I thought it was a commercial.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bingo, brother Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote: " Heat-treating is a step in the manufacturing process that most gunmakers don’t want to deal with, they just buy pre-hardened steel and machine it. That leaves your Rockwell down around 32 at best and you can get set-back lugs on your receiver or your bolt."

Not sure if the 32 figure is correct...IIRC HarreM49 pre-hardened stock receivers are 35rockwell.

quote: “GMA actions are machined from bar stock, they’re not made from investment castings. Cast parts can have porosity, imperfections, casting is never as accurate as a machined part. When you get to the fit and finish, machined parts will always be more precise and accurate. No rewelding or reworking will be necessary. There won’t be any voids that you have to deal with. It’s a more expensive way to go but delivers much higher quality, consistency and strength."

I was under the impression the investment cast Ruger77 was one of the strongest bolt action receivers.
If you ultra-sound test your investment casting, you wont come up with any surprise voids in the machining process.
Not a bolt action, but inspect a finished Hagn falling block investment cast receiver, and tell me if the fiT & finish is substandard.
Reports from respected smiths here on AR, tell that the GMA still needs a good load of proper finishing and feed work.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judging by the blatant and obvious lies told in their advertisement, I wouldn't touch one of their actions with a 10-ft pole!
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your going to get a "new" Mauser, why not get a Mauser.

http://www.mauserwaffen.de/index.php?id=home&L=1

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
This is just my opinion but, everybody that makes something they're truly proud of likes to "blow their own horn" a lot. If Ryan Breeding thinks the GMA action is great for a custom DGR rifle, I tend to believe him. Are they better than the current iteration of the Mauser made 98 African? I don't know, either would please me if I could afford them. Tyman's actions are beautiful and I would love to have one of them. Since I can't afford any of them, I'll just sit and drool over GMA, Tyman and the current Mausers.
Good luck to all the current craftsman, I love their work.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't mine him blowing his own horn as much as he wants, although in my part of the country bragging is considered to be the mark of a 4-flusher. No, the problem in my mind is his attempt to LIE about the quality of his competition's product.

He can't build himself up by tearing someone else down. And he can't make his own brags seem believable when he tells lies about others. JMO.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote