Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Some interesting Wildcat Reamers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey Chic,

does the 358/378 have the typical weatherby shoulder or a more common type? I never even thought of this but it was make sense, some people are fans of 35's but there aren't that many BIG 35's out there. I wonder what the performance of that would be. Are you planning on building one now?

I have my own "weirdo" that I have no idea the point of. It is a 270 Apex, 7mm Rem. necked to 270. The gunshop where I bought the rifle said it was made in the 60's (how they know I can't say, maybe from the person they bought it from). I have only shot it 5 times, it is my nicest looking rifle and I have never gotten to putting a scope on it, but I did fireform a few rounds without trouble.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been going through my reamers tonight that I purchased from an old friend. Some are interesting and I can not find any details in any books I have seen. Some are obscure and I have found some data. One that is promising and I do not know why it was never popular is a .358/.378 Weatherby. The one that interest me the most and the one I would like some feedback on is a .375/.338 Win Mag. It was developed by Chatfield Taylor. The loading data that is showed pushed a 300 grain bullet at 2463.

One that falls in the "why" category is a .338/300 Win Mag.

Another reamer that I have that appears to have never been used or at most once is a 7mm/300Long. The long is obvious as the neck is 0.41" long but why I do not know.

The last is a 6.35 X 59 W and I have both a rougher and finisher in that. The owner had dies in that caliber and I wish I had bought them. I did find data on that one and it is basically a .25/06 Improved.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The one that interest me the most and the one I would like some feedback on is a .375/.338 Win Mag. It was developed by Chatfield Taylor. The loading data that is showed pushed a 300 grain bullet at 2463.

That one has quite a cult following. Do a search on the web for 375 Taylor.

Quote:

One that falls in the "why" category is a .338/300 Win Mag.

Neck dimensions are different. Some feel the neck on the 300 is too short. The 300-338 is very similar to the 308 Norma.

Quote:

Another reamer that I have that appears to have never been used or at most once is a 7mm/300Long. The long is obvious as the neck is 0.41" long but why I do not know.

Some folks feel the longer neck helps cut down on throat erosion, by making the gasses converge inside the neck instead of in the throat. It assumes a shoulder angle of appropriate degree.

Quote:

The last is a 6.35 X 59 W and I have both a rougher and finisher in that. The owner had dies in that caliber and I wish I had bought them. I did find data on that one and it is basically a .25/06 Improved.

Sounds like you got a nice little pile of reamers. "Get this guy some barrels, would ya?"

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One that is promising and I do not know why it was never popular is a .358/.378 Weatherby.
It did catch on at least for awhile in a 35x378 and the
35x378 JC I know of 3 men that had the full size 35x378's
And 5 men with the JC vertion .this was most popular in the early 70's to mid 70's alone with the 30x378 and the 8MMx378
I know i had fun with my 35x378 JC and full size vertion

Pottsy

One draw back on the JC Vertion the inside of the neck it needed reaming out becouse it was to thick JC was the short vertion

Pottsy

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The last is a 6.35 X 59 W and I have both a rougher and finisher in that.

Nothing new under the sun .... this one seems to be a close re-creation of the German turn-of-the-century 6x58, the cartridge of the famous "Kilometerb�chse" of emperor Wilhelm II.

Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
It sounded like the other way around; 338 on a 300 Win Mag case. Definitely in the "why bother" catagory.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got at least one that has never been used; it is a 300 Petersen. I have another, the 300 Coby (more or less of a 300 winny Ackleyized.

Posts: 5508 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
.375 Epstein is the .300 Winnie necked up to .375 and slightly shortened. He got H&H velocities out of it.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<KBGuns>
posted
Two more .358 off the .378 case that I know of are the .350 Wells Express< !--color--> and the .358-.378 Real Guns< !--color-->. Both are full size cases if I remeber correctly. The BalisticTips for the .35 Whelen are varmint bullets when fired out of the .350WE.

Kristofer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic,
The 375 Chatfield-Taylor is a cartridge I have always liked and for which I also have a reamer.
I first saw one of these in about 1978 which was owned by a young (at the time)gunsmith in Moscow, Idaho (John Vaughn). I liked the looks of it so much that I ordered a reamer from Hugh Henriksen as soon as I got back home. I've built quite a few of these since. I like it because it fits a Mauser or pre-64 action so well.
John also showed me a 458 he had which was stocked by a young (at the time) stockmaker in Chehallis, Washington, I think. It looked pretty good too.
The long necked 7mm must simply use full length 300 Win mag brass. I recently made a similarily long necked 358 Norma which uses untrimmed 300 mag brass. This was done mostly so the customer could avoid trimming brass but the long neck is a benefit with some bullets. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3586 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill and Chic:

I, too, have an interest in building a .375 Taylor. Can you link me to some ballistics?

Thanks....

MKane 160

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ballistically it is essentially a 375 H&H. Top loads with 300 grain bullets give around 2600fps and 270gr bullets a bit over 2700. Best powders are those in the 4064 burning range. This cartridge seems to be more efficient in shorter barrels than the H&H and most that I built were 22-23" and intended as quick handling bear rifles. This is a cartridge which I think should have been commercialized just to reduce the price of dies if nothing else! Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3586 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote