THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Remington 740 operating handle removal!! HELP!!!!

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 740 operating handle removal!! HELP!!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm in the process of replacing a broken firing pin retractor spring on my 740, but the damn operating handle retaining pin is impossible to drift out, is there a special tool for this? or do i just carefully drill the roll pin out? has anyone out there ever attempted remove the pin without buggering up the ejector port cover?

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated, season's starting and this the only rifle I have Frowner

One shot..meat! Two shots...maybe...Three shots...heap shit! - Old Indian adage

Posts: 137 | Location: Pune, IN | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
The ejection port cover has a notch in it specifically to clear the bolt handle pin. The notch has to be aligned with the pin. Pull the trigger housing. You can access the bolt handle pin from the underside. Once the notch is aligned, drive the pin straight out. You might want to place a piece of masking tape over the port cover to hold it in place and to catch the pin.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The pin is install from the bottom up and MUST be remove from the top. There are splines on the pin (it's not a roll pin) and would be impossible to drive out from the bottom. You also need to be careful that you don't let the drift punch mar the top edge of the ejection port. It's easiest to do this after removing the action spring. That will allow you to position the bolt and port cover without fighting the spring. You'll be doing that anyway to get the bolt out.

When reinstalling the pin, it must be driven in almost flush to not interfere with the magazine.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M Pursell:
The pin is install from the bottom up and MUST be remove from the top.

That's right, drive the pin from the top. It didn't look right when my rebellious fingers put it in print. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote