Find
Notify
Tools

Muzzle diameter on a .30-06 Browning BAR Sporter
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I am contemplating building a Browning BAR sporter in .35 Whelen and figure the cheapest and easiest way to get there is to rebore a .30-06. Anybody have one they can measure the muzzle ID on for me to see if there is enough barrel thickness?

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3821 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Muzzle ID of a 35 Whelen is .358. I build lots of them.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Hi Tom. I know the ID, I need the OD. I am hoping it is at least .560".

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3821 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
But...you asked for the ID HAR!

Posts: 3509 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, of course; I gave you exactly what was asked for. I assumed you already had the BAR and know the OD, and wanted the ID.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I just have a brain that leaks and a house full of distractions, and yes, you gave me what I asked for, but you should be a mind reader and know what I meant. Confused

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
who are you planning to use to rebore a BAR??... i'd talked to danny pederson ay cutrifle, he used another guy to do the BAR's...ive got 1 to rebore to a .416 taylor.. thks..

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2833 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my minds eye I can see that single point rifling cutter trying to cross the gas port. Talk about interrupted cut!

Posts: 698 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Oh, I definitely knew what you wanted, but it was such an easy target I couldn't resist messing with you!
As for reboring, JES can probably do it because he uses three grooves and a gas port won't matter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have got the diameter yet? If not I'll dig mine out.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.6"
I get .6003"

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JES rebored to .35 a lot. I think their website is 35caliber.com

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2148 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Thank you Lawdog. I have used JES before.