Find
Notify
Tools

crossbolts
 Login/Join

Picture of jeffeosso
posted
Okay,
I usually just use steelbed to make crossbolts, or, when I do use them, only use them in the rear. my experiences with 375s, mid 40s, and 458s say that this is good enough...

BUT,
On my 500 jeffe... I am going to put them fore and aft, and I am wondering, do I just "include" them in the steelbed pour? I can easily open this up some, and get the steelbed onto the tube (not the bolts) and then tighten the bolts down, providing the support.

Thoughts? Or, Do we all want to see what happens when Jeffe lights off a jeffe that has glassed in crossbolts?

jeffe

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff, if you haven't seen it already, there is an excellent article "The Bolt Action Stopper Stock" by Jack Lott in Gun Digest 1984. He goes into his method re crossbolts in detail.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just curious, why wouldn't you want to glass in crossbolts? On the only gun I've built that really needed them ( [Wink] they all have them, just because I like the look), I glassed in the tube, torqued down the bolt heads to compress a little, and put glass (and an ebony plug) over the top. I hope I didn't screw it up -- they would be mighty hard to get out now!

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Todd,
I think I am over engineering this, but my thoughts were that if the tube could not move, then during weather change and/or EXTREME recoil, that crossbolts could mechainicly fail. But, as I think about it... I usually just build a big ole steelbed block for larger recoilers... but I haven't built anything this big. 416s, frankly, "don't kick" (all that much)

jeffe

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote