New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quarter rib material
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am going to need to fabricate a quarter rib for my double rifle I am building. I plan on using both irons and scope. Any ideas on the best alloy to use. I have used 1018 crs in the past for some projects but don't really like the finish I get. So..........I am open for some ideas.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1511 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael_Greene
posted Hide Post
On a bolt gun I try to match the "barrel" material. I am not sure how to approach yout problem.

May I suggest you try asking someone like:
quote:

All the best.
M.Greene

Posts: 50 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1018 will work.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about 4140 steel?

Jim

Posts: 1210 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't imagine what trouble you're having with 1018...We use it on bottom metal and you can get anything you want up to and including a mirror

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
1018 Cool

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well guess its 1018 I will just work on my finish process. It may have been the last piece of metal I had. I have ordered a couple of new pieces and will work on them.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1511 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just curious... Why such a soft and malleable material, as opposed to something a little more ding- and nick-resistant?

One of Us
Picture of BIJOUCREEK
posted Hide Post
1018 is the best I have used and I tried a bunch trying to teach myself how to build 1/4 ribs it just blues better for me in my hot tank or rust. If you planned on machining in scope mounts for a foreward mounted scope I would use 4140 pre heat treated or 01 or something a little harder than 1018. I use 416 for my stainless ribs.

Posts: 155 | Location: Byers Co | Registered: 20 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
How about 12L14.... It works for me... Machines well for great surfaces finishes and blues very well...

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
12L14 is also a good option

Bottom metal and quarter ribs don't need the properties that 4140 have nor does it need to be hardened. If you have 4140 laying around fine but don't go out a buy a special piece for it.

Mild steel work fine
12L14

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote