New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winslow?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I saw a fn action rifle for sale that the seller thinks its a "Winslow" (?)

Had a '50s FN action like a jc higgins except the shroud and bolt knob are blued

He Says the recoil pad says winslow too

What the Heck is a Winslow? Havent heard of it.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Winslow built rather modern rifles often with contrasting wood, high combs, and thumbhole stocks. Very radical for the time.

I remember his work as being well done ... just not to my taste.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The stock "is" butt ugly but nice FN action in 3hunert mag. I wonder how good or bad it feeds and cycles

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Winslow was a custom rifle manufactured by Winslow Arms, originally of Osprey, FL. They did marvelous work on California styled rifles, made in Florida. They operated in the 1960s, maybe the late 50s, and thru the 1970s, until the outfit died off in the 1980s. They made most of their rifles from FN Mauser actions, later some Winchester M 70s and MK Xs. You could order almost any caliber imaginable, and in, I believe, 6 or 7 variations of carving and engraving. All of their rifles were works of art. My wife and I used to trek to their Osprey site just to see the glorious rifles in work. I still have one in .257 Weatherby , FN action, in Myrtlewood. Wife had a .243 in Walnut. They were gorgeous custom rifles built to the same sort of specifications as Weatherby, only with greater interest in the engraving and carving. Oshman's, when they were just a Texas sporting goods store chain, always stocked Winslow rifles. Some of their displays were aweinspiring.

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This one isnt engraved or anything . It also is a blind magazine. Its a 338mag not a 300 like I said earlyer