New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser floorplate release (options)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a German guild (commercial) Mauser 98 from the mid 1930's.

For reasons I won't bore you with (engraving) I want to keep the bottom metal.

The floorplate release is the standard type, where the tip of a bullet engages the release, and the plate is slid slightly back.

What options are there to modify/fabricate a more elegant release?

I have one of Brownell's extended floorplate release plungers, so there is that option.

I am also familar with the levers that are still available that are pushed to the side to release the floorplate. That's an option, but it would obscure the best part of the engraving.

What else is there to choose from?

By the way, the bottom metal on this rifle is very nice...beefier that what I normall see on the German Mausers, and (besides the engraving) it apprears that a gunsmith some years ago took the time to polish and shape the metal a bit to make it look even nicer.

I definetly want to keep it.

Thanks in advance,

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
You asked so here's my recommendations:

1) Leave it as it is

2) Leave it as it is

3) Can't recommend anything else. If it's an original guild rifle in decent shape I don't thing you'll improve it any by changing it.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larkin
posted Hide Post
I agree with John but if you insist check out the release system designed by Roy Dunlap and described in his classic book Gunsmithing. It shouldn't affect engraved areas. I have converted a couple of Mauser guards using Dunlaps idea and it works well but sometimes needs fooling with to keep the floorplate from popping open on recoil. On your rifle I would still leave it as is.

Posts: 86 | Location: n.e. wa | Registered: 03 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen a number of guild mausers as you describe that have a mushroom like button that goes through the hole in the floorplate where you put the bullet tip in to release it.

I have not had a chance to play with one, but I imagine it has a "back" to it that is screwed on, kind of like an earing back, that pushes against the internal release button to pop it loose. If you look around a bit, I am sure you could find pics on the 'net. Or, a member here could post one. IMO this treatment looks better and is more period-correct than the FN / Husqvarna style extended release.

Todd

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The extended or mushroom buttons work without changing the rifle; just keep the original tagged so you can put it back one day.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The mushroom style button sounds like just the idea I was looking for.

I'll try a Google search and see if I can come up with an example.

I appreciate your collective wisdom on this.

I had the damnedest thing happen with this bottom metal:

I saw a a piece of metal on Ebay that had been engraved by a guy in Utah. His work looked good, so I contacted him by email to see if he could do some engraving on this Mauser floorplate we are speaking of.
Told him what I wanted (a sable antelope in the center of the floorplate), and he says: $200

It sounded kind of hokey to me, but I had nothing to lose (he wanted a $100 deposit), and I was planing to replace the bottom metal anyway with a SunnyHill unit.
So I send him the money, floorplate, and some pictures I took in Tanzania of sable.

Time passes, don't hear anything. I call a few times, he's ill, and I feel some sympathy for the guy, and quit bugging him. I'm going to use different metal anyway.

Low and behold the triggerguard/floorplate assembly shows up last week. Fully engraved. Fully. Bolino style, with scroll work too.
The picture is extremely detailed, with 2 sable bulls lying in the grass, mopane trees in the background, and clouds in the sky overhead.
Scroll work around the borders and the rest of the metal, and he adds a Steenbok to the triggerguard itself (my wife's comment is "Why didn't you ever shoot one of those?")
It's as good as what I see on Beretta's high end doubles.
$200.

So, now I have to send him another check because I feel so bad (he didn't ask for more money, it's just that what he sent me isn't right for me to accept on the original terms we agreed to).

Probably the weirdest thing I've ever had happen to me with my firearms.

Garrett

One of Us
Picture of larkin
posted Hide Post
A picture of the floorplate and name of engraver would be great!

Posts: 86 | Location: n.e. wa | Registered: 03 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If someone can host the pictures, I can send them to you.

The engravers name is Mark Smith, out of Monroe, Utah.

Garrett