New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: What is the value of this
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Griffin and Howe still makes those mounts, they are $300.00 new. I have a pre 64 like yours with the same mount and I would not even consider welding up the mount holes.

Don't loose or separate the upper and lower they are a matched pair, and a royal pain to correct if one gets lost.

G&H's website: http://www.griffinhowe.com/g&hscopemounts.cfm

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I'm with Fla 30-06...

Unless your vision really requires the additional magnification, I'd restore the scope and mount to the gun. First, though, I'd replace the mount screws. If that wasn't possible, I'd get the proper screw-slot files from Brownells and clean up the existing mount screws and heat blue them. Eventually, I'd probably also get a 3 or 4-minute dot installed as the reticule.

If you don't really visually need the additional power, the added eye relief and exit pupil size of the Lyman can be really handy on a .375 in heavy cover or other snap-shooting situations.

Alberta Canuck

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would try and find a modern scope that would work with the side mount. That rifle is like a beautiful women with acne. With the side mount back on she's back to classic beauty.......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote