Find
Notify
Tools

Magnum Research BFR in 460
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted
Not sure if this is the right forum or not for this question, but here goes..

My hunting buddy has one of these, 10.5" barrel. And even with 4 rings, this monster slips the scope, and loosens the mounts after 20-50 rounds, no matter what he does. Red Loctite has been ineffective. I forget what bases he has, but do know he is using 4 Warne rings.
This monster has already dislodged the ejector rod from the elector handle, which was just a press fit, (it's getting welded).

My question is, Can a SS base, if even available, be welded to the top strap? And what else can be done to minimize scope slip on this monster.

Personally I think this gun is a POS, but he likes it and wants to eventually hunt Griz with it... but not before he works out all these ussues..

your suggestions appreciated..

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1975 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, you can weld a mount on, but can also make a recoil lug for it that mechanically engages the frame. And use 8x40 screws instead of the 6-48 it probably has. Use powdered rosin on the rings. to keep the scope from slipping. Put a bake on the barrel will help too.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Okay, here is the plan..

The pistol already has a brake.

The ejector rod will be welded into the ejector rod handle.

Base screws (3) will be opened up to and upgraded to all 8x40's and a fourth one added.

Scope does not slip in rings, but the crossbar that goes under each ring and through the base looks like someone has been hitting them with a hammer and they are all visibly bent.
The only think we can think of here is going to a lighter scope. The Bushnell Elite is on it currently and I believe it is the heaviest pistol scope out there.(who knew) we are thinking that moving to a lighter scope, may stress the rigns/bases a bit less.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1975 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote