Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester feeding problem
 Login/Join

posted
I have posted this one in big bore, could some of you Winchester experts take a look please.

Posts: 51 | Location: Westcoast of Norway | Registered: 09 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by svehella:
I have posted this one in big bore, could some of you Winchester experts take a look please.

quote:
I have a Winchester Super Express LH in .375 H&H with a feeding issue.
I have changed the original magazine spring with a Wisner, and it’s holding four down.
The bottom metal is Williams.
The problem is with the fourth on the left side and also with the third on the right side, when it’s loaded with the fifth in the barrel. It doesn’t have this issue with 3 down and one in the barrel. It seems like an gunsmith job, but does anybody have a clue.

There, now we don't have to chase around looking for it.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thank you dancing

Posts: 51 | Location: Westcoast of Norway | Registered: 09 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
You came to the right place. Big Grin Okay, what is the problem? What does the 4th and 3rd round do when loaded with 5 that the 2 and 3rd round doesn't do when loaded with 4?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The bolt travels over the round on number 4 and 3 when loaded with the fifth in the barrel. With 3 down and the fourth in the barrel it’s ok

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
the only problem I could see occuring, without you coming right out and mentioning it; is the fact that the follower is probably near bottoming out on the bottom metal, placing the last round in the mag under too much tension.....This could be remedied by chamfering the underside of the follower to allow it to come down further and giving the last round more room.
Of course, this is all just speculation, until we here what the real issues are that you're having with it.

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
The bolt travels over the round on number 4 and 3 when loaded with the fifth in the barrel. With 3 down and the fourth in the barrel it’s ok

The bolt is supposed to travel over #4 and #3 until it gets rid of #5.

If the bolt is travelling hard, or dragging on #4 then I agree with Matt that you probably don't have enough clearance between the bottom of the bolt and #4.

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
appoximately how much free-play room does the the last cartridge have when you push down on the magazine and are you seeing movement for and aft on the cartridges in magazine??

In other words, are they able to slide back and forth much while in the magazine, or are they firmly in position?

It's sounding like a follower geometry issue for now.

Did you have it feeding correctly before you put the Wisner mag spring in place?

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If i had a couple of mm more I could get the fifth round in the magazine.

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
I again would ask if you had good success with the factory magazine?

If so, I would take Wisner's and stretch it out a bit to see if it can put more tension on the cartridge. I'm going to assume that the 1st and 2nd cartridges feed fine....is that correct?

Williams Machine Works

posted Hide Post
When I inspected the action there was some burrs in the rear of the rails. I polished the rails in the rear with a stone and it got better, but I don’t have the right stone for the job. It got better but not perfect. It should be perfect before I take it out on a hunt.

posted Hide Post
It was no problem with the factory magazine and spring. If I stretch the Wisner spring would it not increase the tension?

posted Hide Post
When I have tree down and one in the barrel it feeds flawlessly

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
I understood you before in saying that you used a Wisner spring, but did you also use a Wisner mag box?

If you only used the spring, I would take it out and stretch it some to increase tension.....If that didnt' work, I would put the factory spring back in and call it good.

Williams Machine Works

posted Hide Post
Thanks I’ll try that to see if its improves

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triggerguard1:
I understood you before in saying that you used a Wisner spring, but did you also use a Wisner mag box?

If you only used the spring, I would take it out and stretch it some to increase tension.....If that didnt' work, I would put the factory spring back in and call it good.

I tried to stretch the spring but it didn’t improve the situation. I’m using the original mag box. The Wisner mag box, I couldn’t fine one for the post 64, only for the pre 64. What is the difference between pre and post 64?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triggerguard1:
appoximately how much free-play room does the the last cartridge have when you push down on the magazine and are you seeing movement for and aft on the cartridges in magazine??

In other words, are they able to slide back and forth much while in the magazine, or are they firmly in position?

It's sounding like a follower geometry issue for now.

Did you have it feeding correctly before you put the Wisner mag spring in place?

I have approx. ½†clearance above nr. 4. The cartridges is held firm in place and is not moving back and forth. By the way, when I have four down and close the bolt without putting one in the barrel, it feeds ok. It is only when I close the bolt over nr. 4 it won’t feed the fourth cartridge. It seems that the front of the cartridge is moving over to the right (the centre of the magazine) on a left Hand rifle. When I push it back against the rail it feeds ok. Seems like the box is to narrow in the front.