Find
Notify
Tools

First 1911 Build
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
OK,
This is my first build. The parts are...
STI basic frame for 45acp
STI government style slide
STI firing pin
STI Firing pin stop
STI Disconnector
STI Grip Safety
Storm lake threaded barrel w/ bushing, pin & link
Caspian Extractor
Ed Brown Firing pin spring
Ed Brown Plunger tube
Ed Brown rebuild kit – pins and springs
10-8 flat long trigger
Brownells magazine catch
Brownells Hammer Strut
Brownells SS firing pin
Wolff Sear sping
Wilson Recoil Spring Plug Stainless
Wilson Extended Ejector
Wilson Flat wire Recoil spring kit – spring, guide and buffer
Wilson Flat main spring housing
Thumb Safety, Hammer and slide catch unknown (acquired from other guns over the yeas.)
Grip bushings and screws off amazon – unknown but look like good quality.

I shot 50 rounds today. The first mag had a couple rounds that didn't go closed all the way. But the last mags ran without issue, minus the last round. For some reason the slide wouldn't close on the last round on any mag. I only used Wilson Combat 8 shot mags. I may dig out the ACT mag and Chip McCormics later.

I have not for sure decided on the sights. I am thinking XS express sights. They make a night sight version that fits the dovetail. I'll have to dove tail the front sight to use it. Yes, those are genuine elephant ivory grips.

All the brass was ejected back and to the right most of it missing me. I did get a couple on the head. Ammo was PMC brass. Accuracy is unknown due to no sights.

I bought the slide for $125 from Dawson, Frame off of gun broker for $100 and Brownells for the small parts at dealers cost - We run a gun shop in Phillipsburg, KS. I have some more fitting to do and hopefully the last round thing will work out in the wash.

This was my first attempt and I loved it. I may cerakote at our shop or send it off to Robar for NP3 or like treatment. Haven't decided on the finish yet.

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool! I'm wanting to do an 80% build, 7075 Aluminum. I'm torn between 9mm and 45.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .366torque:
I'm torn between 9mm and 45.
Then why not .38 Super?

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You actually have no choice; get the .45. Forget the 38 super as a useless dodo, and get a 9mm later.

Posts: 17178 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
quote:
Originally posted by .366torque:
I'm torn between 9mm and 45.
Then why not .38 Super?

That is a great idea! I really like it.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
You actually have no choice; get the .45. Forget the 38 super as a useless dodo, and get a 9mm later.

I'm going into IPSC. It's one of the few ways I'll enjoy exercise. The 38 Super will hit major power easier than the 9mm and less recoil than the 45.
I have a 460 Rowland and 45-08 on the way.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Aaron. Please have it blued.

Posts: 6438 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron how about Parkerizing?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I feel like it has an identity crisis. some of it suggest GI like the slide profile controls and ejection port. While some of it suggest custom, grip safety, trigger, undercut trigger guard, trigger, treaded barrel. for it to look right do you think i need to modernize the slide? novak cut rear and dovetail front, lower and flair ejection port? I like the round top... that i will not change. I wanted a plain, less is more look... not sure I am getting it. What do you think?

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
yea. threaded bbl says park. or paint. save the the ivory for the next one.

Posts: 6438 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking at your posted picture I think a flat grey finish would be a looker.Thanks for the post.

Posts: 1074 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote