Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Model 54: Trigger as bolt stop
 Login/Join

posted
I was examining a Model 54 in .30-06 the other day. Aside from the sheet metal floorplate/trigger guard it seems like a well made piece of equipment. I noticed that the trigger sear is the bolt stop. How durable is this arrangement? Will it stand up to vigorous cycling? I actually liked this early Model 54 (manufactured in 1929) due to its trimness and its ability to handle stripper clips. It also had a nice Lyman 2.5x Alaskan scope in some sort of detachable mount that consisted of a base on the front ring and then a base attached to the receiver sight holes. Pulling rearward on the scope and twisting frees the scope. The front base is stamped KING PIKE. Anybody have any info on this style of mount? The bluing on the rifle is in 90% condition. Bore is bright and shiny. No extra holes anywhere. Wood has seen some carry but no abuse. The gun is marked at $650. I'm thinking of offering $500. Is this reasonable? From searching this forum I know some of you have paid less for your 54s but this one is pretty nice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know much about Model 54s but I'm going to bump this to the top because I've been looking at the gun that wings is talking about. It is pretty nice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wings,
There sure are a lot of them around and still going strong, that speaks well for them, and you never hear anything bad about them..I have owned and shot a lot of them, they are an excellent rifle...

The mounts that you are referring to are Stith Mounts and are worth $100. and the scopes are worth about $150 to $200 these days, they seem to have taken a jump in value in the last six months for some reason...so you are looking at a pretty darn good buy for that old Winchester, buy it and good hunting...

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you don't like the sheet metal triggerguard buy a Mdl 70 trigger guard (alum or steel) then cut the 54 guard off right behind the center screw hole. A little inletting is required and a little metal has to come off the front of Mdl 70 guard to fit. Looks nice. I've done it on several 54's.

Posts: 70 | Location: So. Az | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Amazing, Ray got something wrong, that is not a Stith mount, it is indeed a King Pike, popular after WWII in the 40s and 50s, had a good reputation for return to zero. As to the bolt stop trigger, it worked OK but was gotten rid of when the 54 was modernized to the 70, the target shooters could not get the kind of really good trigger pull they wanted in the 54. Some 54s were altered to take a 70 trigger and a screw was put through the left receiver wall as a bolt stop, I have seen at least one with a complete Mauser 98 rig, a big job looked like it required welding.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
Weatherby Mark V rifles use the trigger as the bolt stop also. All 3 of mine use this system. Seems to work OK.
Never any problems.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I happened upon a 30-06 with a stainless barrel, it is a nice little gun and I have been shooting it quite a bit lately.

I don't think the bolt stop will be a problem, maybe if you used it as a nra hi-power rifle the battering could egg-shape the trigger pin holes, but that's it.

I put a good steel peep on mine and shortened the barrel (it had no collector value due to bubba).

As stated before, if you are going to modify the saftey, the trigger, and the floorplate, you will be better off finding a good model 70 though.

Not sure on prices though. If that one is original then $500 is probably pretty good.

good luck