THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ballpark price for rechambering to .22-250 AI?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted
Hello,

I traded off a Rem700VS in .223 for a Ruger 77MkII VT in .22-250, and I'd like to have it rechambered for Ackley Improved. Is this any more involved than on a Remington action, and roughly how much should I expect it to cost? I realize the price is going to vary a bit based on locale and gunsmith, but still I'm kind of looking for a min/max sort of range to anticipate (btw, I'm in north central Washington state).

Thanks,

Monte

Posts: 341 | Location: Wenatchee, WA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The deal is that, unless you have the barrel set back you cannot get the correct headspace. Because the headspace changes on the center of the datum line, which is the center of the shoulder on both cases. What all this means is the barrel has to be removed and the shoulder machined.
I'd say you're looking at $75.00 to chamber it and another $75-$100 to set the barrel back. Ballpark figures.

one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted Hide Post
I don't have a problem w/ having the barrel set back to establish headspace. I figure it'll give me a little more of a lease on life anyway, by giving me a bit o' new throat area to work on [Wink]

So ~$150-175 total. About what I guessed, but I wasn't sure if I remembered right.

The problem might be finding a gunsmith around here willing to do it. The ones I talked to about my 700VS in .308 this last year didn't want to just yank off the barrel, set it back a bit (yes, I know that entails recutting the threads and the barrel shoulder, among other things) and run a match reamer in (this gun has the most atrocious jump; it shouldn't be able to hit the broadside of a barn from the inside, but it shoots great?!?). The few I talked to claimed it wouldn't be worth it (to whom I wonder, them or me?) unless I got a whole new barrel and had the action trued up at the same time. Just an extra $400-500+ worth of parts and work :/ Maybe this will turn out better ( I hope )

Thanks,

Monte

Posts: 341 | Location: Wenatchee, WA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you only want/need to set the barrel on the Ruger back about one thread. And on the Remington, you needed to set the barrel back an inch or so which means new threads, counterbore, lots of chamber reaming, etc.
If this were a Rem that needed only 1 thread/rechamber, I would guess $75-$100 would be a fair price. Caution: a lot of 'smiths don't do it correctly, they simply run the AI reamer into the existing chamber and end up with excessive headspace and/or a funny looking shoulder.
I'm just a hobby guy that plays with Remingtons and have opinions.

Posts: 275 | Location: NW USA | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Monte,

From a machining standpoint, the only difference between the Ruger and a Remington of similar caliber, is the addition of the bolt nose recess on the Remington barrel once it is set back. Price for the machine and chamber work could range somewhere between $85.00 and $150.00 plus freight.

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Milanuk,
This conversion is well worth the effort!Never have I seen a bullet shoot so flat. Check your e-mail.
Stepchild

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Monte, talk to Elzie Scott at One Shot Firearms. He knows a very good up and coming metalsmith in Brewster and he speaks very highly of him.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stepchild 2:
This conversion is well worth the effort!Never have I seen a bullet shoot so flat.

Well, I shot a .220 Swift for a couple years, and w/ moly bullets I could get 55gr bullets going 3900+fps, albeit w/ a *warm* load (one of those guns that thrived on loads running on the edge). Hopefully this .22-250AI picks a different powder for it's 'favorite' as that particular Swift seemed to thrive on IMR4064 (yuck!). Here's hoping for Win760 or Varget!

Thanks

Monte

one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
Monte, talk to Elzie Scott at One Shot Firearms. He knows a very good up and coming metalsmith in Brewster and he speaks very highly of him.

I'll have to give him a buzz here soon, as I need to pick up a couple boxes of 155gr J4's in there sometime in the near future.

Thanks,

Monte

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by milanuk:
quote:
Originally posted by stepchild 2:
This conversion is well worth the effort!Never have I seen a bullet shoot so flat.

Well, I shot a .220 Swift for a couple years, and w/ moly bullets I could get 55gr bullets going 3900+fps, albeit w/ a *warm* load (one of those guns that thrived on loads running on the edge). Hopefully this .22-250AI picks a different powder for it's 'favorite' as that particular Swift seemed to thrive on IMR4064 (yuck!). Here's hoping for Win760 or Varget!

Thanks

Monte

Monte,
Mine likes IMR 4895

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote