Find
Notify
Tools

Walex M1999 pics
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted
I'm posting these pictures for Dan at Montana rifle. I'm sure he will chime in on this thread.Pictures are poor quality, they can be seen in tier condinsed form here Walex M1999 Action
Terry  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

[ 07-09-2003, 06:15: Message edited by: TC1 ]

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is that MRC or Williams bottom metal?

Chuck

P.S. Where is Walex in response to the evaluations of this action given so far?

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

Walex is out salmon fishing for dogs (chums) and has had little time to come home to play on the computer. He's one the few old timers that still makes living a fishing. I've got to meet up with him tomorrow to pickup a few reds (sockeye) for the smoker . I'll pass it along that you guys asked (miss?) about him.

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks better than the Remchesters I come across [Smile]

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:

Chuck

That one is ours.

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is completely off topic, but is there any commercial value in dog salmon? I thought they were held in lower regard than sockeye?

Scott

Posts: 117 | Location: Sierra Foothills, CA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
They are edible but they aren't called dog salmon for nothing.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roger Rothschild:
They are edible but they aren't called dog salmon for nothing.

Is that what they use in expensive cat food then?

H. C.

On topic, I can't tell a thing about the finish. Are any of the problems with this rifle shown in the picture. I have never seen a M1999 in real life. Do any of the pictures depict the shroud-twist malfunction?

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
In pic #4 "cockingpiece" at the other site I see a continuous angle on the bolt body where there should be an angle. The pic also seems to be a mirror image. There is just no flat surface for the firing pin to rest on.

This of course is a guess.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:

Chuck

P.S. Where is Walex in response to the evaluations of this action given so far?

This is Williams bottom metal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage 99:
In pic #4 "cockingpiece" at the other site I see a continuous angle on the bolt body where there should be an angle. The pic also seems to be a mirror image. There is just no flat surface for the firing pin to rest on.

This of course is a guess.

This is one of the flaws that we found. We discovered (with the help of another gunsmith) that Winchester had the same "hard closing" problem that we faced with our action. The problem was that the cocking piece was riding up on the sear. To correct this the angle of the cocking piece and sear were changed. This one was done by hand and was a little too polished. This has been corrected in all new cocking pieces and sears.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry about the quality of the pictures guys, the lighting in my office is really terrible (florescents) and trying to get a great picture from a "Web Cam" is not the best way to do it. We are looking at digital now for future pictures.

one of us
posted Hide Post
To clarify the off topic questions: dog/chum/calico salmon is regarded to be one of the lowest food value pacific salmon, which means it's about 3 times as good as a farmed atlantic salmon. Most chums are fished for their roe, which the japanese think is the best. King/chinook are rated #1 with red/scokeye almost a tie for first in terms of flavor and texture.

Sockeye is a premium quality salmon, much much better than even silver/coho.

BTW, I've shipped out about 2 million pounds of Copper River reds and kings since May 15.

Posts: 99 | Location: Cordova Alaska | Registered: 07 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whitehurst

What's the deal with the Copper River Reds? Are they better tasting for some reason or just the first run of the year?

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
I think there is something fishy about this whole thread. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Longbob:
I think there is something fishy about you. You wouldn't be related to Spongebob would you??

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Nope.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longbob:
I think there is something fishy about this whole thread. [Big Grin]

Got to love it! [Big Grin]
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey1:
Whitehurst

What's the deal with the Copper River Reds? Are they better tasting for some reason or just the first run of the year?

Having dipnetted for reds on both the copper, and the kenai, I can say I don't see a taste difference between the fish. What has been done is to market the Copper River fish as a premium. The biggest effect on the quality of the fish is how it is handled, not which river it came out of.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Copper River reds and kings do have a higher oil content (scientifically proven fact) than most reds and kings in the state, and the flesh is a bit firmer, and deeper in color. Remember the longer and more swiftly the river flows, the better the quality of the retruning fish.

A fish caught up by Chitina is not a fair comparison with one caught at saltwater in Kenai. The Chitina fish has travelled in fresh water for 3 weeks, losing oil and food quality the entire trip.

Additionally, Copper River fish, because they are so good, are bled and iced on the grounds as soon as they are landed, further increasing their quality. Very few fisheries actually bleed the catch.

Next year around May 16 try a fresh Copper River red or king and get back to me.

Posts: 99 | Location: Cordova Alaska | Registered: 07 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whitehurst is correct on those Copper river reds and kings. High dollar restaurants love em so much they have em flown in on ice somtimes. As for myself, I opt for the catch em yourself-self grill method. Here's a Monterey King from last week:
 -

MtnHtr

Posts: 254 | Location: USA | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Elkslayer
posted Hide Post
I keep clicking on this post believeing there is something to read that is actually about Walex and his MR1999.

[Frown] Silly me.

Posts: 452 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 15 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Elk: Hang in there, man!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote