Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

B.O.S.S. barrel dampener
 Login/Join

posted
What ever became of the B.O.S.S. barrel dampening? When Browning came out with this all the gun writers said that this was the best think to happen to rifles since smokeless powder. They said every gun with this dampener would shot sub-MOA groups. But now I don't see anything much about it anymore. Being poor, I had the idea of duct taping some wheel wieghts on my barrel!! Or just use some superglue!

Posts: 23 | Location: O'Fallon, Mo. | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not have all of the technical data, but there were two versions. The first, which was adjustable weights up front, and a version with just a brake that you could turn on or off, something like that. I am sure somebody can elaborate on that for me.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I've got a Win M70 Supergrade in .338 with a BOSS on it. This thing with Federal factory 225 grain Classics shoots well under MOA, best group to date was .264" ! ( 3 shots ) this BOSS works. I didn't like the blast and ear shattering explosion from the brake portion of the BOSS so I bought an eliminator for it and put that on in place of the brake. Recoil is big but it is accurate and I could actually hunt with it now without making my ears bleed.
My brother has a couple of BOSS equipped rifles in Winchester and Browning and these things are accurate, this is no smoke and mirror job it works. With whatever load you pick you can fine tune the BOSS adjustment and make it shoot tighter and tighter groups, I imagine some loads you can tune in tighter than others.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, the BOSS was just an adjustable weight that you would use to tune or change the vibration pattern of the barrel. The holes were added to attract those looking to calm recoil as well.

You can get the same dampening results by threading the muzzle and installing a couple of adjustable nuts. The BOSS does look a little better than having a couple of nuts hanging off the end of the barrel. Big Grin

Sims, the recoil pad folks, have a donut looking device which is slipped over the barrel and positioned to help dampen vibrations. Those who have them swear by them.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
The difference between 2 identical except for boss 7mm REm Mag BArs was astounding. It shot 1/2 again as tight a group as the non boss. Used the 2 1/2 setting for a 139 hornaday factory load and it shot better then most bolt guns. I have a CR on order from Browning for when I take it hunting though

Working on my ISIS strategy....FORE

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote