New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lubriplate
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Back in the day, when Marine recruits were trained with M1 rifles, each M1 had a little yellow container of a white substance used to lubricate the moving parts of the rifle. I later learned that this was a commercial product called Lubriplate.

Back as a civilian, I was able to locate a tube of this substance, which I used to keep in my skeet gun case and use to grease the hook which engaged the hinge pin to minimize friction. Recently I came across the almost exhausted tube and decided to replace it, but to my chagrin, when I Googled Lubriplate, I discovered that the company now markets a whole line of products. Does anyone know which one matches the government issue substance?

one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
xausa,
I did a search and it is available from several different sources.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used it religiously on our M-14s.

Semper Fi.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good stuff ! There's more than one civilian firearm that comes with Lubriplate on critical parts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The answer to your question is Lubriplate 555 food grade grease. I have spent the last 20 odd years managing the chemical inventory at a Frito-Lay manufacturing plant. Being that we make food we need a grease taht is 100% nontoxic won't stain and has no discernible odor. We use it on everything form bag makers to slicers. The nice people at Lubriaplate are pretty proud of their history as a military gun grease. I have had their regional rep mention it more than once. it can be found at your local Grainger or most any decent industrial supply house.

B.O.H.I.C.A.

Posts: 49 | Location: Bakersfield California  | Registered: 27 November 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use to see it in small squeeze tubes. That quantity should last a long time. I think any high quality grease should work. I use Sta-lube #3141 moly-graph multi purpose grease because I have it.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I checked RayO's reference to Midway, it was marked "Discontinued" and when I went to Amazon, I found pages of Lubriplate products, but no 130A. The same was true of Lubriplate's website, so I wrote their information site and received a reply that it was not discontinued. Finally, I found it at Brownell's (of course).

Thanks to all the responders!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xausa:
When I checked RayO's reference to Midway, it was marked "Discontinued" and when I went to Amazon, I found pages of Lubriplate products, but no 130A. The same was true of Lubriplate's website, so I wrote their information site and received a reply that it was not discontinued. Finally, I found it at Brownell's (of course).

Thanks to all the responders!

https://www.amazon.com/Lubripl...urpose/dp/B007VQQAXC
Of course this is for 36 cans.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...pec-grease-16-oz-can

still available at Midway under this number.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I have a toothpaste sized tube I bought 25 years ago. I find it runny, and doesn't stay in place. this is a 1940's product, and there have been more than a few technological breakthroughs since then.

While lubriplate will definitely do the job, there are plenty of better lubricants on the market, depending on your application.

Garands used to come with a 3/4" tall screw top tube of grease that fit in the buttstock. I've had them come with lubriplate and also with a much heavier and sticky brown colored grease which seems to last much longer than Lubriplate.

I think I probably still have a bunch of the tubes with the brown stuff.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1975 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Ballistol with an attitude

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a tube of Lubriplate #630-AA in the belief that it is the ticket for general firearms/sporting use, and have no reason to believe otherwise. I even used it to pre-lube the camshaft bearing journals in a Saab twin cam when I had cause to replace them recently- worked like a charm.

My old man had a tub of the old original stuff and I'll be darned if I know what ever happened to it. He used it on stuff like most clueless suburbanites use WD-40.

Posts: 332 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pa.Frank:
I find it runny, and doesn't stay in place. this is a 1940's product, and there have been more than a few technological breakthroughs since then.

I'm a 1930's model myself, and from time to time I'm a bit runny also. I don't expect to be around long enough for it to matter. I put a lot of rounds through M1's, but only on the rifle range. By the time I got to Vietnam, we were equipped with M14's, and they had the same little yellow container of lubriplate.

Later, when I was on the All Marine Reserve Rifle team, I continued to shoot my .308 M1 in lieu of the M14's we were issued. I didn't switch to an M14 until the heavy barrel models came out.

I like my rifles muzzle heavy for off hand, and the Marine Corps Match Course includes 20 shots off hand, unlike the National Match Course, which has only 10. We used the Marine Corps Match Course in our Division Matches and two Marine Corps Match Courses in the "leg" match.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xausa:
quote:
Originally posted by Pa.Frank:
I find it runny, and doesn't stay in place. this is a 1940's product, and there have been more than a few technological breakthroughs since then.

I'm a 1930's model myself, and from time to time I'm a bit runny also. I don't expect to be around long enough for it to matter. I put a lot of rounds through M1's, but only on the rifle range. By the time I got to Vietnam, we were equipped with M14's, and they had the same little yellow container of lubriplate.

Later, when I was on the All Marine Reserve Rifle team, I continued to shoot my .308 M1 in lieu of the M14's we were issued. I didn't switch to an M14 until the heavy barrel models came out.

I like my rifles muzzle heavy for off hand, and the Marine Corps Match Course includes 20 shots off hand, unlike the National Match Course, which has only 10. We used the Marine Corps Match Course in our Division Matches and two Marine Corps Match Courses in the "leg" match.

One big reason that the carbon fiber wrapped barrels are junk.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to any auto parts store and ask for it.
The white grease is the best there is for building engines. Smear it on new bearings and it'll last long enough for the oil to start flowing.

Don't know if they sell small tubes or just the big one. but, that's only around $6 even two years ago. Can't guess what it might cost today. IT IS available.

IF all else fails, pm me and I'll send you a bit from the last tube I bought to rebuild and engine with.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6008 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote