Find
Notify
Tools

How To Fix The Peep? Updated with pix
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted
So I have a receiver sight mounted on a .375 H&H. This rifle has just been rebuilt by a 'smith and from what I can see, he did good.

I have mounted the sight and was attempting to bore sight it when I became aware of how poorly the sight picture looked. I took a piece of dental floss, tied a knot on one end, threaded it through the peep and I find the floss hits the barrel about 13.75" from the peep. It appears to be bent forward about 1.5 degrees off vertical. Crap!

How can I fix this? I know one way will be to take it in to a 'smith and have it drilled, don't want to have to spend any more money though.
 -
Another
 -
Different angle.
 -

[ 10-19-2003, 04:14: Message edited by: Nitroman ]

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm mighty confused.

One end of the floss passes through the peep.

What's your second registration point to determine the line of sight? What else are you passing the floss thru to determie the sight is off?

Rob

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Nitro,

It sounds like the peep is bent forward from the vertical axis then? What make peep is it, and what make gun? Is it a side mount or a top mount? Can you post a pic of it? There are a lot of things you can do but %99.999 won't apply to your specific problem. Some more info will help narrow down the ideas.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Rob,

I looked at the front of the peep and made sure the floss was equidistant from the edges of the hole.

Mark, this is an old Lyman SME. The peep disk had a very small hole, I almost didn't get the floss through.

By backing the disk out and pushing up quite hard, I was able to get it inline with the front sight blade, as it should be. Looking at the disk mount on the arm, I can see it is tilted forward, aimed at the barrel. I cannot see with my eye if the mount on the receiver ( P-14 Enfield ) is tilted.

I am going to dissasemble and see if it is anything I can do by gentle massaging.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Nitro,

Sop does it look like this then?
 -

Use a small ruler to check all the angles, it is easier than using your eyeball. If you don't have a small ruler try using a credit card or other straight edge, then you can figure out what exactly is out of whack.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Updated with pix. While the floss looks more severely down, it is an optical illusion. I checked with a straighedge and that is the line-of-sight through the aperature.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nitro

While it may seem desirable to have the plane of the aperature at right angles to the bore, it really doesn't matter as long as you can see the front sight. You might have an aperature that appears as a slight oval rather than a perfect circle, but your eye won't know the difference.

When I was young, had good eyes, and hunted with a peep site I removed the screw in aperature and used just the housing. That makes it a much faster sight, and is just as accurate for most hunting distances. Now I just use low power scopes, an accomodation to the loss of accomodation with old eyes.

Roger

Posts: 71 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a lot of bulky sight for a big bore, and with knobs that the unknowing may twist without your knowledge when the rifle is in a gun rack in a vehicle or in camp. I have seen this happen!!!! And, one drop upside down on the rocks puts you out of commission. Seen this happen also.

What is the front sight/ramp configuration?

Front ramp height, front sight blade height, and rear sight height all need to be matched, there is a way to do this with a few simple measurements and a simple formula. Think centerlines.

You may be better off with a compact adjustable peep that takes tools to change anything, or a simple ghost ring non-ajustable. You need at least a 1/8" aperture on the rear sight, some folks use a 3/16". We are not shooting a 6 inch target at 200 yards with a big bore iron sighted rifle, imagine a black nose headed your way and only 25 yards out. And, a 1/8" aperture with the correct front bead (like a 3/32" partridge) will let you hit a grapefruit at 100 yards easy, even with a 458 Lott.

[ 10-19-2003, 07:57: Message edited by: John Ricks ]

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote