New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for Colorado gunsmith
 Login/Join

<Kodiakisland>
posted
Anyone know of any great smiths in Colorado? I have a few actions I want rebarreled and would like to get the work done in Colorado if possible.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Mark Chanlin - Rocky Mountain Rifle Works, makes his own barrels, and will do a great job of installing them. If it is any indication, he makes a lot of barrels for match rifles.

Another good bet is David Sullivan, who was working out of Boulder, last time I checked.

George Orndorf in Denver is another one.

Posts: 3843 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look for Ray Montgomery in Grand Junction, Colorado. 3199 Hill Avenue, 81501

He has worked on a couple of rifles for me and I am very satisfied with results. Also I remember a nice write up a few years ago in Rifle Magazine about Ray's expertise and passion for Ackley Improved cartridges, 6.5-06, and wildcats. Nice guy to boot. Fast turn around for a custom gunsmith these days.

Posts: 53 | Location: Grand Junction, CO USA | Registered: 13 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Greg Tannel (sp?). I have only spoken with him on the phone about his barrel flush chambering system and bought the video tape. Everything I hear about him from customers is absolutely first class. Someone will have to help with an address.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<257 AI>
posted
A friend of mine just had one done by a guy up in Loveland and so far it looks like he did a great job. The rifle would shoot a 3 shot 1/2" group if Bob could shoot better. [Razz]

<Lightnin>
posted
Customstox,
Greg Tannel
29742 W.C.R. 50
Kersey, CO 80644 (970) 353-6176

www.gtrtooling.com
Jim

<1GEEJAY>
posted
HEY'
www.shooting-hunting.com,lists 38 gunsmiths,in Colorado.Those that mention Gregg Tannel are right on the money.Excellent reputation.He is probably busy with hunting,at this time of year.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com [Wink]

<Mike Anderson>
posted
I can second the comments on Ray Montgomery, he has done rifles for me and a friend and they all shoot extremely well.

I would not hesitate to use him and he was on time. [Smile]

<Kodiakisland>
posted
Has anyone used Mark Chanlynn at Rocky Mountain Rifle Works? His prices seem reasonable, turn around time sounded a little iffy though.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I have had Mark Chanlin rebarrel two match rifles for me, and I know a bunch of other target shooters who have had him do work. Of all of those, the workmanship was excellent, and since he makes his own barrels, the one barrel that did not shoot well, he replaced without charge, after which the rifle was a great shooter. Mark learned barrel making from Boots Obermeyer. Insidently, the one that did not shoot, had a wierd contour, which may have contributed to the problem.

Posts: 3843 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark did a rebarrel for me on a Winchester 270. He did a hell of a job. Give him time. He is a busy man. He runs a production schedule. Originally I wanted a 300 rebarreled but decided to do the 270. Had I done the 300, I would have got it back two months sooner. I've been in his shop. He hasthe equipment. Impressive.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote