New
Find
Notify
Tools

J.C. Higgins Mauser Action
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi, I was wondering if there is anything odd about the J.C. Higgins FN mauser action? Is ther an issue with the type of trigger it uses,does it not connect to the action but only the stock? Is this the same as a Browning FN? THANKS!

Posts: 129 | Location: Kennerdell,PA | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Which model is it? some were made by FN. I don't know much about the others but I have the FN one in 270 winchester, it is fantabulous, love the rifle. it is my "cab gun" if you will. Bought it for the action thinking I would make it into something else and liked it so much I left it alone.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a model 50 I am looking at. It does have the FN action. I was also thinking about using the action because the rest of the rifle isn't real attractive.

Posts: 129 | Location: Kennerdell,PA | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The FN actions that High Standard used in the M50 and 51's are not a "C" ring action. The safety is really not very good on on the wrong side as well.

The trigger is attached to the stock as well on those rifles.

That said if Sears sold them today they would be as good or better than most guns!

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
No better gun for the money.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
I paid 275.00 for my first 30-06, 325.00 for the next, and I think I paid 300.00 for the 270. Got home with it and took it apart, it had been glass bedded. Installed the trigger, mounted the scope, took it to the range, sighted it in, shot some great groups with it, and then giggled all the way home...

To get that kind of craftsmanship today would probably cost close to a 1000.00.

one of us
posted Hide Post
FNs are good actions for 30-06 and short magnum rounds, not for 7 STW etc....They will get headspace with 7 STWs and that ilk just about every time, but they are within the safty margin for regular cartridges..or they can be taken down and brought up to specs I suspect...I have owned them in 375, 416 Rem,404 and one in a 458 Lott, they all worked well...

I would add a Blackburn trigger, and a M-70 3 pos. type safty...they can make up into some nice rifles, and arn't really to shabby out of the box....

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
I've got a Montgomery Ward mauser in 30-06. Is it the same breed of cat as the higgins??? roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
The action is probably a Hein. Check to see if it's a "C" ring action, and the magazine has also probably been cut out up front. The one I had was a little shorter than a FN 98.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What exactly is a C ring action?

one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
Pull the bolt, get a flashlite, and look into the action. If there ISN'T a space about a 1/2 inch wide on the left side, it's C ring action. If you were to look, most military 98's, are "C" ring actions. Most of the commercial FN's were split C ring actions, they have the space.

Now, I have probably really confused you. As to the benefits? I don't have any idea...

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
a c-ring stops the barrel shank and the threaded shank at the same time.

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The C ring has a cut on the right side to allow for the extractor. FN post war machinery would make a cut on the left side as well, supposedly to save time and money. The Interarms Mark X uses FN style machinery and also has the dual cuts.

Heym made a commercial 98 for two years back around 1964. They were not FN actions. They were commercial intermediate actions (full C ring), which are extremely rare. Some were imported into the US and were stamped by Westernfield on the barrel. They were the 720 half stock and the 724 full stock. The US models in .30-06 had to have the magazine front opened up, as the intermediate action is too short for a .30-06. Both of the 724's that I had were tack drivers, as Heym barrels are best quality.

The FN commercial mauser actions are excellent quality. They would be my next choice after commercial Oberndorf and Brno. I think the bolt handle looks like a fish hook, but that can be easily changed. The factory low scope bolt safety is one of the best designed, right after Paul Mauser's original one. It keeps your thumb on the left side, where it belongs. If you should choose to replace yours, I'll be happy to buy it from you. Here is one installed on a pre-war Brno.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
KurtC,

Thanks for correcting my error. Heym it is. I wish I would have kept the rifle I had. The action would have made a great custom gun in 7x57.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Those comercial FN's are my favorite action also. Picked up a JC Higgens 270 a year or 2 ago, $225 with a 2 1/2X redfield on it. Cant beat that for a bargain.

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
The Montgomery Ward I asked about is made in Belgium and is a splitC ring action with a slightly longer internal magazine. Is this than the same as the Higgins? roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look on the left side of the receiver. If FN made it, it should say "FN (in an oval) action made in Belgium.FN was proud of their name. I'm sure they'd stamp it somewhere on the gun.
I have five rifles on FN actions, four of them are J.C. Higgins M50s. Two are still original, but I have plans for them. All but one are sub MOA rifles. The one that isn't need bedding work. The Higgins stocks are very clubby, but there is enough wood on them to make a fairly decent looking sporter.
One still original 30-06 was tested with a very accurate target load consisting of IMR-4350 and the 190 gr. Hornady boattail match bullet. I fired four five shot groups from the bench and achieved four one raggedy hole groups. I'd say that part part luck, as I don't usually shoot that well, but the day was fairly cool with no mirage, no wind to speak of and I guess my wibbles compensated for my wobbles. Still, I believ that rifle will outshoot me any day of the week.
Would I buy another Higgins 50. You betcha!
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote