THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning A-Bolt Titanium......scope mounting!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If any of y'all have an A-Bolt Titanium that you are going to mount a scope on, DON'T rely on just the LEUPOLD 2 peice bases!! The receiver of the the TITANIUMS is DIFFERENT than a standard A-Bolt. To get the scope mounted properly REQUIRES the front base for a Savage 10/110 and the rear base for the A-bolt!! BTDT!! I called Leupold Tech Services about it and that was what I was told. Using A-bolt bases only leaves you with a bottomed out verticle that is still 9" high at 100 yards! .............AND Leupold tech said you may still need a .012 shim under the rear base! Just thought I'd pass it along!! Happened to me today at the shop! A-Bolt Titanium, Leupold bases, Leupold LOW rings, Leupold VX-L 4.5-14x50...........no way to zero!! Charlie (GHD)

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Parts from Leupold came in yesterday and the front base from the Savage 110 worked PERFECT. No need for the shims that Leupold supplied if needed. The scope boresighted to center at the very center of the elevation adjustments! Leupold figured this one out and was very helpful in helping fix it!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I've got a buddy in Raleigh putting one together and I feel sure he will be interested in hearing about this.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey GHD, Just heard from my buddy yesterday and you are exactly correct. Leupold sent him the Front Base to a Savage and it fixed the problem on his as well.

I can understand why this would catch Leupold and the rest of the Base/Ring makers off-guard. But for Browning to allow it to happen is just pitiful.

He contacted Browning and they told him he needed to order the Bases/Rings from them to resolve the problem. Roll Eyes Since they decided to make it a Non-Standard set, then they should have included the proper ones with the rifle.

He sure is glad that he got started on this project w-a-y before Deer Season rolled around. And without your post, he would really have been at a loss to resolve it.

Thanks again!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote