THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building a 6.5x55 on a Mark X action: possible?
 Login/Join

posted
So the title line says it all. Mark X's are plentiful in my area and can be had for right around $300. The samples I have seen look like nice, solid commercial Mauser actions. Would it be possible to rebarrel one in 6.5x55? Is there enough or too much action length? Would one need to open the boltface to accomodate the 6.5 Swede's bastard head measurement? Thanks in advance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you start with a Mark X with a 30-06 bolt face, the 6.5x55 should fit just fine with no alteration of the action, and the head size is close enough that you won't know the difference. In fact, most American ammo manufacturers make the 6.5x55 with a standard 30-06 head size.

Good action and good project.

Clemson

Posts: 329 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
bmeeks

Building a 6.5x55 on a Mark X action: possible?

I certainly hope so as I have one in progress!!
Yes, it works great. Here are some pics of mine at present.

I changed bolts because I wanted a round knob and a two position side swing safety. I also added a Springfield triggerguard and floorplate, but the receiver is a Mark X as are all the rest of the parts.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Gee, Idared, rather than going through the difficulty myself, maybe you'd just send me yours? After all, I only live six or eight hours to your east. Heck, I'd even come get it. That and I'll trade you some back issues of Guns and Ammo. Seriously, though, that is going to be one fine rifle. Congratulations.

A few questions.

Who made the stock? And what did you choose for a barrel?

Thanks for the encouragement otherwise. I was mostly worried about the bolt face but it sounds like that won't be a huge hurdle. Does the 6.5 feed alright in the long action?

Okay, one other question. Is such a conversion cost effective? I am only looking for a good working gun, nothing quite so nice as Idared has put together. Would I be better off/money ahead with a CZ550?

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
bmeeks

I sent you a PM with the answers to your questions. Many thanks for the kind words about my project.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote