New
Find
Notify
Tools

headspacing a wildcat??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Could anyone tell me how to set the headspace in chambering for a wildcat that has no headspace guages? I have a loaded round -- but i'm just not sure how to come to the final headspace. Thanks -- Larry B.

Posts: 37 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I would say use your loaded round. When I did my 30-378 I cut the chamber so that it would just close on a factory loaded round.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I too would use the round you have...

I'd pull the bullet, remove the powder and primer, and just use the case.

Before you use the case as a gauge, be sure to "mic' the diameter of the case neck, and the diameter of the reamer neck. You want to be sure the resistance you feel when lowering the bolt with the case in the chamber is case shoulder against chamber shoulder...not trying to force a large case neck into a small chamber neck. Also be sure to either remove extractor from bolt or slip the case rim under the extractor when using...you don't want the case/gauge being shoved into the chamber by the top of the extractor. Also remove or deactivate ejector, if you have a plunger-type ejector which is located in the bolt face.

When you get the chamber to where the bolt will just close with a little bit of feel for about the last 1/'4" or so of downward bolt travel, you are "there".

Then, put the bullet back into the case neck, and try it again. If the case with the bullet in it won't go into the chamber as easily as the case alone, then you either have too short a throat in the chamber, or the expanded diameter of the case neck with the bullet seated is too big for the chamber neck. Either/both can be resolved by proper use of a throating reamer of the right diameter.

I use this approach all the time for my competitive .30-BRs, for two reasons....1) It is easy to make sure brass is interchangeable between my rifles this way, and 2) I never got around to buying set of .30-BR gauges for the first several years I used that cartridge <G>.

Alberta Canuck

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote