New
Find
Notify
Tools

Devcon bedding
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How long is it necessary to wait to shoot a rifle after it's been bedded with Devcon F ?
TIA

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
brownells says 3 days, iirc, for their product... i would go by that
jeffe

Posts: 39706 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot one the next day when I was late getting ready for a match (typically). So it got to cure for about 12 hours or so. I set it up with 2 lamps shining on the action area which heated it enough to speed the cure quite a bit. As I recall I did OK so I guess it worked alright. I doubt this is recommended however. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3782 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot 'em the next afternoon or the following day too, mild recoiling stuff.. And I'm always anxious to get out and see how it shoots !!!!
Earlier this year I had a gluein fail, just under the front ring. The rails and tang were holding tight. I had bedded this br action with Marine Tex and glued with JB. Took me a while to find it, drove me crazy.. Maybe I hadn't got everything degreased properly? I don't know. But generally I'm pretty fussy over cleaning prior to gluing. I had also flown with this rifle the year before, hmm...
Back the Devcon, I was just wondering what the specs called for ..
Thanks fellas,
PB

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
FWIW, epoxies require about 7 days at normal room temp to cure 100%. It can vary a little between formulations but that is the rule of thumb. Most of them reach about 85% in the "cure time" stated in product information which is good enough for most of the intended uses.

Whether or not 12 or 24 hours is good enough for firearms bedding could be argued endlessly here on the forum because almost all of us have shot one or more guns in that time frame without a problem. I like to wait until the next weekend if for no other reason than to prove I've developed at least a little patience in 51 years .

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I use the Devcon aluminum, and I usually give it 12 hours in the shop (fairly cool), and then put the rifle in the window facing the sun for that "heat cure" during the day. Shoot after 24 hours if I "have to". 24hrs in my shop won't be anywhere close hard enough, though (it runs about 63 degrees). HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently started using a "glue and screw" system on my own rifles and use 5minute epoxy for the glue in. This, again, because of my habit of using the "night before the match" preparation method. It seems to work out just fine but is really kind of a semi glue in.
I had a Shilen DGA which I glued in and it never shot worth a damn. When I pulled it apart, I had trapped air under the front of the action and a goodly portion was not glued. I guess the point is that a bad glue job is just as worthless as a bad bedding job.
I always plugged the guard screw holes in the receiver in an attempt to protect the glue from solvent. Hoppes#9 will degrade Devcon. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3782 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer a slow cure, the slower the better and I give them about 3 days to a week...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote