Find
Notify
Tools

Model 70 Safari Classic Crossbolt "Compression"
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted
So I find a beautiful Model 70 Safari Classic, matte finish action, bright barrel, nice looking stock.

Hardly looks fired....

Other than the crossbolts look like they've been set back about 1/8", compressing the wood to the rear of them, and generally looking like hell.

I'm sure they would have to be removed, the stock refinished and reinforced...but has anybody seen this, and what did you do to repair it.

Hate to go McMillan right out of the hole on it, but it's priced right and really looks nice other than that.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Curiosity prompts me, what calibre are we looking at? As far as your problem is concerned, I've fixed up a couple of rifles with shattered stock inletting, cut out all the busted bits,stuck in some wooden blocks with lots of epoxy , & then reinforced with threaded rod & bedded with my preferred plastic steel in the normal way. The one I still have is OK to this day so I would say definitely doable.
Steve.

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats maybe a different story, with a hard & sharp recoiler like this you might be well advised to incorprate some extra recoil devices into the stock. I have seen peoplerecommend an extra lug sweated on under the fore end as well as Xbolts at the stock wrist to help prevent cracking in this area. I've not done it or even seen it but I have read of steel plates being shaped to go either side of the mag to strengthen this weak area in most bolt action stocks. This helps to Xfer the recoil thru to the butt without the springing normally found here. I would look the try some 16 gauge plate, rough up the wood, drill a heap of little (3/32") holes & lots of epoxy again, done in such a way that it is all invisible when its all screwed together. Not from my experience but just the way I'd try something I've read about before. It makes sense to me.
Steve.

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey fireball168,
My 416 did that as well. Had it Glass bedded and seems to have fixed the problem.

Cheers,
Mark.

Posts: 557 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 13 February 2007Reply With Quote