New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gyroscopes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Would a gyroscope help hold a rifle or pistol steady?

Would a gyroscope help with recoil?

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage99:
Would a gyroscope help hold a rifle or pistol steady?

Would a gyroscope help with recoil?

Yes on number one...Perhaps on number two if from nothing other than the weight increase.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used gyroscopic camera mounts in helicopters and on boats for years to steady movie cameras, but the size, weight and need for battery power would make them pretty unpractical for most rifle use. One of the hydraulic rifle rests would probably be far more practical, in my opinion.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Gyros resist rotational movement but do not affect linear motion. So I suppose they could make say, a match pistol steadier but regarding recoil everything would just move backwards in a straight line so no help there.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Gyro’s I have used with movie cameras incorporate gyroscopic action to stabilize the camera from any sudden/jerky side to side or fore and aft movement...but again, they would be just a wee bit impractical to use on a shoulder fired rifle. Their weight alone would probably reduce felt recoil quite a bit since a majority of that recoil would have to try and move the gyro as well as the rifle and that effort would eat up allot of energy in the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rick 0311; Do yourself a favor and look up the difference between Energy, and Momentum.
eg; How does something "Eat up energy".
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hawkins:
Rick 0311; Do yourself a favor and look up the difference between Energy, and Momentum.
eg; How does something "Eat up energy".
Good luck!
My, my, aren't we pedantic this morning?

While Rick should have used momentum, most of us are smart enough to know what he meant.

As for "eating up energy", that's a colloquial term for the conversion of energy to some other physical property, usually heat.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The point is if you are going to use Scientific terms it would be to your benefit to look up what they mean.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The point is if you are going to use Scientific terms it would be to your benefit to look up what they mean.
Good luck!

Excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me Mr. Newton! Smiler

In a sport where people frequently speak of “knock-down power†of bullets...rifles “kickingâ€...and other technically absurd terms, I didn’t really feel as though “eating up†energy was at all out of place...But there I go thinking again! Smiler

The point I was trying to make was that gyro-stabilizing devices (which contain gyroscopes) are quite heavy and that alone would have a lessening effect on the felt recoil since the force of the recoil would be acting against a much greater resistance than just the weight of the rifle itself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good luck!

Not that any of this is worth arguing over...but what “scientific†terms did I use that I need to look up?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was watching the show Shooting Gallery and they were doing some shooting from a helicopter using a agyroscope mounted on the forearm of a AR-15. The power came from a battery pack mounted on there belt. They didn't say how heavy it was but it sure looked heavy when they were handling it. I would guess the dimensions were around 12" x 6".

Posts: 144 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Just mount it on the scope. When the aminal comes out in the open, pull the rip cord and your in business. moon I see some new crap we could market to the unsuspecting sportsman. Camouflage it and call it the steady shot. Wink

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote