Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted
How do you tell if one has been refinished
or reblued?Any signs to look for?
Thanks
Jeff

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well it should be apparant at a glance but if the bluer is very skilled you should be able to tell by dragging your fingernail over the printing on the barrel as polishing usually knocks the edges off..when a stamp is administered, the metal has to go somewhere so it rises around to letters...another possible is you have to know the original polishing print on the pre 64..

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42149 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Not so sure about that raised letter comment above. But the barrels on some of them have a ground finish that follows the cylinder of the bbl in a random fashion. Also this pattern is on the cocking piece.

Be specific with the model and approx serial # also. Prewar ones were different also and so are bottom metal on Featherweights.

one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
YOM 1956
SN 3885XX
Standard grade
Is there a way to tell if the wood was redone also?
Thanks

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Jeff,

I have a few near that SN. I think I would have to see it and even if I did I would not want to be responsible if you are paying a collectors price for it. You could go over to the Newington Gun Exchange and look at the 30/06 that they have there. It's very worn and I don't think refinished but I did not look that close at it. It's over in the rack to the left as you enter.

The stocks on the M-70's had a thin finish without a lot of gloss. Most refinished rifles that I see have a high gloss finish on both the metal and stocks. The M-70's did not.

What is the price of that rifle? If it's only $600 and it's a good job I would not be concerned.

Give me a specific detail of that rifle and I might try to lay one of my M-70's on the scanner and email the pic to you. I live close to you and my email is donmartin29@hotmail.com.