THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    did some CZ 527 scope ring internet/phone research today-

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

did some CZ 527 scope ring internet/phone research today-
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I measured the height of the supplied CZ ring from the ribbed portion of the base, and came up with .5625, this distance would be lower if I measured off the raised edges of the base. I assume CZ ships their "medium" heighth bases with the rifle.

I want to go lower, the point of contention is going too low and hitting the bolt handle root with the scope's eyepiece. I'm mounting a Leu VX1 4x12x40, which has an eyepiece diameter of 1.6 inches.

Warne has a ring, their "high" ring, that measures .535" off the base. I called Warne this morning, and the rep said it would clear. He also told me that soon, Warne would be supplying CZ with their scope rings.

The CZ rings that came with the rifle don't seem real stable- the front ring, noticably, doesn't close up on the base like the rear ring does. Not confidence inspiring, and the CZ rings use slotted screws rather than torx, as the Warne rings do.

So I ordered a set of Warne "high" CZ rings.

Also, I have Warne's 7.3 rings on my CZ and Anschutz rimfires, and am very satisfied with them.

I'll raise a point- the bolt handle on the 527 is removable. Seems like altered, drop-in CZ handles would be an after-marketable part for kitchen table gunsmiths like me. I considered removing it and filing a flat on the bolt root to gain some clearance, I might order a second bolt handle from CZ and try it.

I'm gettin' long winded hereSmiler

I'll close with this web page I found, it has a series of inch/pound torque drivers offered, I don't know what quality the tools are:

http://www.wihatools.com/285vario_s.htm

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Just call CZ for a replacment bolt handle. They
are less than $9.00 and then you add about $3.00
shipping. Comes nicely blued. Unbelievably cheap. Grind it to fit and reblue!. There is a lot of steel that can be safely removed.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I guess some freak out about low mounting, I just use the regular 527 rings and am very happy with them, I even like them on my carbine which has a lower comb. I also think the solid steel CZ rings are beefy and well made

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my 527 has burris rings on it, well made, simple and clean looking and the bolt handle just barely clears an old VX-III 1.5-5x, a great scope for the FS.
Ian

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
I have filed flats onto the bolt handles of 3 CZ550s with very satisfactory results.

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Old Elk Hunter-

at that price I can louse up a few before I get it right- thanks.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote