New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heavy barrel with 2 recoil lugs. Maker?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Bought a used .416 rem mag Mauser custom from Cabela's Gainesville, Va. store.
Mark X action, nice wood and Timney trigger.
Barrel has no markings other than caliber and 2 recoil lugs. Normal size and location for rear lug and another glassed into the forend tip.
Both appear to be integral and not welded on.
Any ideas as to barrel maker?
Thanks, Scott

Posts: 124 | Location: Boiling Springs | Registered: 16 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I believe I have seen a 416 barrel by Dan Peterson with dual integral lugs, but not sure where.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The action recoil lug, and another about 4 inches in front of the action is pretty standard, Ive never heard of a recoil lug at the forend tip and IMO if that's the location it needs to be removed and set back or just removed..A .416 can get by with cross bolts in most cases depending on the wood.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have it in the shop to get the action bedded, crossbolts and a bigger pad for longer LOP.

Both lugs were bedded but not the action. Wood figure in the butt is exceptional but straight in the pistol grip and action.

When I get it back I'll post a pic of the lugs.
Front one is just behind the ebony forend cap if not partway in it. Looks to be standard size.
I'd never seen or heard of one there before so thought I'd ask here.
Initally thought "what could it hurt"
Any ideas of a potential downside?
Thanks, Scott

Posts: 124 | Location: Boiling Springs | Registered: 16 September 2011Reply With Quote