THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Differences between Winchester M54 and Pre54 m70s

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Differences between Winchester M54 and Pre54 m70s
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I realize this has probably been rehashed, but I never seem to find the data I'm looking for when using the search function. What are the major differences between the M70 and M54 rifles? I know that the 54s were more of a mauser derivitive, but are the actions that much different? I believe I read the triggers are different, how about the bolts? Any of this stuff interchangeable? How about stocks, are the action footprints vastly different? All the M54 stocks I've seen have the Schnable forend- was that standard? Could I sink one in a M70 stock?
I've located a pretty clean M54 locally, and have a few extry M70 parts cluttering up the man's room.

Thanks,

SBB

Posts: 250 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
According to the "Rifleman's Rifle" trigger was changed to an override trigger like the Mod 52 and was made adjustable,and a separate bolt stop system was redesigned for the Mod70.
They made the 70's action stiffer by moving the forward guard screw rearward from the recoil lug to the receiver flat which resulted in more uniform bedding and accuracy and the safety was changed as was the bolt handle to accomodate a telescopic sight. The bolt shank was descended at a new 45 degree angle and protruded from the bolt body at a much lower point which indirectly created another improvement as tge receiver was notched to allow the bolt handle in the closed position which served as an addtional safety lug.
the trigger guard was made separate from the magazine cover and was machined from a forging instead of the flimsy steel stap of the 54. the magazine cover was hinged so it could be opened and closed for one-step unloading and was held closed by a spring loaded button housed in the trigger guard.
A gas port was added on the right side of the receiver ring.
The firing pin system was altered to do away with the misfires of the Mod 54 and the stock was impoved in appearance with more generous checkering.

Hope that helps

Posts: 234 | Location: tx | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The receiver began with the same forging and barrel contours are the same. Stocks can be switched but as noted in the last comment the front action swcrew is in a different spot. Some of the old gunsmithing books go into more detail. And ccasionally you see an M70 bolt grafted into a 54.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote