New
Find
Notify
Tools

rear sight screw hole
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need to screw down a rear sight base. The base appears sized for a #6 screw, possibly a #8. I have .28" of barrel wall thickness to work with. The local hardware store has 6-32 & 6-40 taps, but only 6-32 screws.

What is the best hole depth/screw size/thread pitch combination?

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a 6-48 tap from Brownells and a #31 drill. This is standard sight screw thread. Don't use any other size as it will screw up the next person that needs a screw for the hole. Leave at least .125 wall from bottom of hole to bore.

Posts: 2834 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
If you don't have a good drill press or milling machine take the gun to a smith to get the job done right. I can't tell you how many guns I have seen that have been ruined by home "gunsmithing".

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
Get a 6-48 tap from Brownells and a #31 drill. This is standard sight screw thread. Don't use any other size as it will screw up the next person that needs a screw for the hole. Leave at least .125 wall from bottom of hole to bore.

Just the kind of advice I was looking for, thanks.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote