New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fast drying solvent???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there a single fast drying solvent recommended for removing spotting glop, say, from a newly sanded stock prior to application of finish?

Thanks,

flaco

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Acetone evaporates about as fast as anything.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Rick.

Still, I'm wondering if lacquer thinner isn't more commonly used for this purpose?

flaco

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just about any organic solvent that you'll find at Home Depot or Lowes will take the glop off and dry fairly fast.

Maybe the thing that you should be most concerned about is which of the possibilities is most likely to mutuate an epithelial and give you a carcinoma?

Then again, something's got to kill you.

I typically expose myself to mineral spirits and/or ethanol for this purpose.

DT

Posts: 196 | Location: NC | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MEK which is similar to acetone, evaporates fast and leaves no residue.

Posts: 257 | Location: Torrance, Ca | Registered: 02 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure you don't need to hit it one more time with some fine sandpaper..I wouldn't want acetone, residue or anything under a new finish. I want it sanded clean, wiped off and a coat of clear filler such as Truoil filler or a finish with the filler in it, all it will take and then a two week or more curing time, Pete Grissel suggests 45 days, before starting the wet sanding process...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Lacquer thinner. Dries faster than mineral spirits. Leaves a very sterile surface for the finish to adhear to.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MEK also does a nice job of dissolving your liver !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bill-

I suspect I had read "lacquer thinner" somewhere, and was just looking for confirmation.

Anyway, we've spoken about this stock before--thanks to your generous help--and it got the final sanding last night, and first sealer coat this morning.

I'm a little concerned because it's so dark. Although it's got about as much fiddleback as a guy could ask for. I expect most all of the popular forms of stock finish will darken the wood.

flaco

And Val? You crack me up. MEK!!! And after Doble Troble warned about toxic side effects!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spotting glop? Like Grumbacker oil paint in Prussian blue color? For spotting in your wood to metal fit? I would not hit it with solvent. If you do it will bleed into and penetrate the wood. Just let it dry and scrape it lightly. I never much worried about getting every speck off. Nobody will see it. If they look inside and see some it will remind them of your hard work.

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
flaco,

Your welcome. Lacquer thinner is also good for drawing out the oily wax in ebony forend tips. If you dont do this with ebony you will have a heck of a time getting any finish to dry or stick to the ebony.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote