New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser bridges
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A couple weeks ago somebody posted a photo of a Mauser receiver with square bridges added on. I was wondering were you can get these add on bridges?
Thanks
Ray

Posts: 147 | Location: Maryland, USofA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Try NECG for the front, I've never seen a rear bridge.

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
A freind of mine under cut and TIG welded bridge blocks on a 1916 Mauser to make a classy 257 Roberts Improved. It was REALLY neat. You must re-heattreat after welding on the front action ring. I re-heattreat all of the Mausers I use for modern cartridges even if no welding or milling is done.

It will be pricey unless you can do it yourself but the finished product has a very distinguised look.

Good luck,

-Catter

------------------
Shoot the largest caliber you can shoot well, and practice , practice, practice.

[This message has been edited by Wildcatter (edited 01-10-2002).]

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been looking for a re-heat treating service for a couple of projects I am working on. Any suggestions as to who?

Posts: 614 | Location: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: 02 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
I don't remember who the sevice was that I used. If I can find out, I'll let you know.

-Catter

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
Phantom Duck,

I have not yet had one done. After some research I plan to use:

www.pacmet.com
800-428-9436 ask for Jim Sterling

I have had good reports on them.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Any good gunsmith can square bridge your Mauser, try Jack Belk at 208-543-4869, he does a fine job...you don't buy the bridges the gunsmith makes them and tig welds them on.....Best to make a single square bridge that way you don't have to re-heat treat the action, I distrust re-heat treated actions as it is such a tricky operation of guess and by gosh....just my opinnion and certainly argueable.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like the square bridge Mausers. The welded jobs look very good.

Lately I've determined you can have the best of both worlds. If you surface grind the action where all the radius and angles are true. Then machine custom bases to fit closely you will be surprised how close they look like the real thing. No welding, warpage and re-heat treatment, just a high grade looking action.

One of out talented forum members is an expert at this, Mark Stratton. Maybe we can draw him out of the shadows and get him to post some pictures.

Posts: 1531 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That was along the order of what I was looking for info about. I hopping to find info about buying or makeing a set of bridges. I saw the photo that Forest B posted and like to look of of his bridges. I have not gotten any responce from him yet.
Ray

Posts: 147 | Location: Maryland, USofA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I too would like very much to see a pic of this process.

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to the thread that has the photo. http://www.serveroptions.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/001842.html

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
M1-
Sorry to see you didn't get my email. Here's what I sent:

Ray-
These were made by Duane Wiebe in Placerville, California. He built them for a rifle he is working on for me. He would probably charge about $400 to build just the "square-bridge style scope mounts".

Duane's email and phone number are:
wiebe@d-web.com
(530) 344-1357

If you contact Duane, tell him you want a set like he made for my 7X57.

Good Luck,
Forrest

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks For the info Forrest.
Ray

one of us
posted Hide Post
Craftsman,
Your dead on with that, they sure do fit up well when done as you describe and as easy as making a set of hand fitted bases.

All actions should be surface ground, and wear hand fitted bases for a return to zero with QD mounts...

I have done the above as described by craftsman, then cut them for Talleys rings and then made a cap that covered the cuts and when not with a scope installed it appeared to be a double square bridge iron sighted gun...but like everything you do for yourself thats neat, someone has to have it, so I sold that beatifull gun...being the whore that I am....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,
Did you do the single square bridge
on my 404 Jeff? I have a Rigby with a take down stock that I would like to build a single square bridge action to replace full square bridge it now has. Doesn't look that difficult to do??

Best regards, Ed

Posts: 151 | Location: Hartford, CT USA | Registered: 05 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Here's an updated photo of the scope mounts in question. You can see its not really a square-bridge look, but nicely done nonetheless. The 404 that Chic stocked for the ACGG raffle this year had a single square-bridge added. Pictures of that rifle have been posted on this forum and elsewhere.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote