Find
Notify
Tools

Recoil pad removal...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
I've run into another issue with my new Bell & Carlson Medalist stock....

First of all, the length of pull on this stock is ridiculously short....but I figured, "no big deal, I will just buy a spacer and install it myself".

I've done it myself before with other stocks.

The Medalist comes with a Pachmayr Decelerator pad installed. I ASSUMED the pad was just screwed on (like any other pad)....however, I was going to remove the pad today and install my spacer and guess what....the pad seems to be GLUED on. I took the screws out and I can't get the damn thing off!!

Any suggestions for getting the pad off without cutting it off?

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The pad may very well be screwed on! You may not be able to see the slits cut in the pad for the screws. I'm not sure about the medalist, never fooled with one. When I install a pad, you
have a very hard time finding the screw slits in the back of the pad. Take your finger and mash around about where the screws should be, see if you can locate the slits. Some are plugged with rubber plugs. I'd make real sure of what I had before I cut or got too rough with it.

Posts: 117 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 30 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
k-9,

Sorry...I should have been more clear in my original post. The pad does have screws. I removed the screws and the pad does not budge.

I've edited my post above...

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I suppose I'd start with a single edge razor blade and very carefully try to cut between the stock and pad. It may be stuck on with paint or it could be glued with contact cement, but I doubt that it is.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bell & Carlson says that they also epoxy their pads on. I had a conversation with them to change the LOP of the stock I had and the tech recommended a heat gun to heat up the epoxy and then remove the stock. They also recommend that you epoxy the pad or spacers or whatever in place before the screws. I also found out that for an extra fee, they will make the stock the LOP that fits you. I am set up as a dealer with them and will help you if I can.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I have removed several epoxied-on recoil pads by removing the screws and placing the pad in a vise and breaking it loose from the stock by tightening down on the vise jaws. You will need a larger pad anyway if you install a spacer.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
If the length of pull is way off.....send it back

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote