Find
Notify
Tools

Sisk "Streamline" mount for Marlin?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
Does anyone have any hints as to where I might find a Stith "Streamline" mount for a Marlin 336?

Or a similar mount by some other maker?

These were the mounts that used the factory tapped receiver sight holes on the left rear of the receiver for the rear scope mount, and the rear sight slot on the barrel for the front scope mount.

I have a 98%+ Marlin 336 chambered in .35 Remington and made in 1950, and I am loathe to drill and tap it for scope mounts...but would like to put a Lyman All-American 8-X of the period (or slightly later) on it. Would be nice to find out how well the rifle would really shoot if I could see the target with these old eyes.

TIA

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stith mounts were only offered for Marlin in custom form from Stith to fit a specific rifle and scope. The only lever gun for which "stock" Stiths were made was the 99 Savage. There is a contemporary mount maker who offers Stithlike mounts, I think including Marlin, who has been written up by Bob Bell and others in the magazines, but I can't recall the name.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
<manhasset>
posted
Vig,
The story is in Nov.03 The Accurate Rifle. a good article about two classic .32 Win Spl. lever actions. Improved version of the Stith system: Ralph Avery, Orchard Park Enterprise, PO Box 563, Orchard Park, NY 14127, (716) 662-2255. Called the "On Target" scope mount, for Marlins that were not drilled and tapped.
Hope this helps
Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information about Ralph Avery...will put it to use.

As to Stiths being "custom" affairs, amybe so, but I have owned quite a number of them over the years, and never ordered any as customs. All Stith Streamlines were made for specific models and scopes, as the front bell of the scope (if there is a bell) has to fit inside the front mount...mostly were made for things like the Weaver 330, Weaver K 2.5, Lyman Alaskan, some for the Weaver K-4, etc.

If I find one with a large enough front ring I can lathe bore the ring, or make a bushing for the ring, to make the front mount fit. As the rear ring is simply a fit around the scope tube, they came in more generic 3/4", 7/8", and 1" sizes. I used to deal with Stith directly in the 40's and 50's...things were a lot easier then.

Also have a bad habit of mixing names...between Sisk and Stith...used to use both their products (bullets, and mounts, respectively), so have to be more careful about my typing.

Thanks for the info on Mr. Avery, anyway. Will see what he wanrts for his versions.

Just out of curiosity, how would one improve a Stith mount? They were easy to install without gunsmithing, and were very sturdy as they were....

Best wishes,

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
<manhasset>
posted
AC
according to the article it mounts the same way as the original, drive out the rear site and use the factory rec. site holes. You need a 1" straight tube scope about 10" long. Its made of bumper grade(?) aluminum and sells for $69.50. The author of the article highly recommmends it.

Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the added info....will take a look. Probably won't work. Those which were made for the straight tube scopes aren't big enough diameter to bore out for a slightly enlarged bell.

The orignal Stiths WERE also available for some belled scopes. I have had some on rifles with belled scopes, so know that to be true.

I still have a pre-war Model 70 standard barreled Swift with a Lyman Alaskan in a Stith Streamline mount. Of course that is also a straight-tubed scope, but was just mentioning it as a way of bringing up that they were very popular at one time for bolt guns as well as levers. Have a beat-up one, and a brand new one, still sitting in my parts cabinets for a Savage 99. May have one or two more on rifles in my vault. Haven't looked them all over in a long time.

Wonder if anyone will start making copies of the Stith Master Mounts? I still use those on several of my hunting bolt guns. Would like to find another 7'8" ring for one, so I could use my old Leupold "Mountaineer" on something. (I have lots of bases yet.) Have a Leupold adjustable mount, but it doesn't seem to be complete...or my memory has failed to the point where I don't recall how to use it....

Anyway, thanks again.

AC