Find
Notify
Tools

Vintage 1920's 9x 57mm Guild Rifle Markings
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted
These markings are on a rifle I recently acquired, I believe this is a 9x57 Mauser. Any help deciphering these are appreciated.

Thanks.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Roger,

Lower pic indicates proof with steel jacketed bullet of 282 grains (semi-smokeless/nitro). This could be consistent with 9x57, but a chamber cast will tell all.

Upper pic indicates .3386 bore (not groove) diameter (hard to say how close this will be to actual bore diameter, as markings varied a good bit). Have you slugged the bore yet (a soft swaged 38/357 pistol bullet is ideal for slugging this caliber)? I'm guessing it will be in the .352 to .354 groove diameter range rather than the commonly cited .356.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Upper pic shows it to be one of the various 9mm bores. Proofed in August of 1924. Possibly the 16th rifle done that month.

Lower pic shows it to use a steel jacketed bullet around 275 grains.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for your help!

Jim, I haven't cast the bore or chamber yet, I cannot find my brick of Cerro-safe. I did find the ladle with about enough to cast a one (1) inch (25.4mm) slug of the bore. I have been looking for that Cerro-safe everywhere. Naturally I will not be able to find it until I give up and order another, then I'll trip over it.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote