THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    I'd like to know EXACTLY how a double rifle is regulated.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'd like to know EXACTLY how a double rifle is regulated.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Yes, I understand it is shot, unsoldiered, resoldiered, then shot again.
But how is it soldiered? If the barrels are separated from the rib in the middle there has to be a gap between the barrel and the rib. What if the barrel needs to go up or down? Is the rib totally removed and little bits machined off till the barrel can move to where it needs to go?
I would *guess* shims are inserted and soldiered in place until it shoots right. Then the whole thing is filled with soldier where it needs it, then the excess is shaved off.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You need to get a copy of "Building Double Rifles on Shotgun Action" can't remember the author and I don't have the book handy its Ellis something

Posts: 328 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Hughes:
You need to get a copy of "Building Double Rifles on Shotgun Action" can't remember the author and I don't have the book handy its Ellis something

Perfect.Thanks!
http://www.bundukipublishing.com/doublerifle.htm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ellis Brown. You can order it from Brownells, or directly from him...I think his website is something like bunduki press.

Posts: 1669 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The book is on the way.
Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Frank:

Post this in the Double Rifle forum. I bet the DR guys who know how to exactly answer your question will see your post better in that forum.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen at least 3 totally different methods of attaching and regulating DR barrels and ribs.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Take a look a the Damascus DR on the Dr page.
It will give you an insight to how one is built.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote