New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this a 1903 Turk?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have not seen one like this yet, was told it was a 1903 Turk. But it does not say 1903 on it anywhere.

The marking on the front receiver ring are the letters AS then a 1/2 moon with points pointing up then FA, above the 1/2 moon is t * c below that line is ANK ARA then under that 1939.
Serial number is 1F 36523.

I have not seen a 1903 Turk before so have no idea what the markings look like. Just learning.

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenBosely:
I have not seen one like this yet, was told it was a 1903 Turk. But it does not say 1903 on it anywhere.

The marking on the front receiver ring are the letters AS then a 1/2 moon with points pointing up then FA, above the 1/2 moon is t * c below that line is ANK ARA then under that 1939.

I have not seen a 1903 Turk before so have no idea what the markings look like. Just learning.

Allen

The '03's will have a half moon cut on the trailing edge of the receiver ring. There because they were modified to fire the 8x57 and allow use of the stripper clips. If it doesn't have the half moon there is a good chance it is a Turked Gewehr 98. the G98's were counterbored on the face of the receiver to use as a retainer for the handguard. In doing so a couple of threads were removed. Cleaning these up properly leaves you with a very short front ring as well as fewer threads than normal. The '03 will also have the high charger hump like the 1909 Peruvian.

Here are a couple 1903's.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking actions. I like how the edges are nice and square. Too many smiths leave them rounded after surface grinding and polishing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Allen

Are 03 Turks not Intermediate length actions? Wink

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
quote:

Allen

Are 03 Turks not Intermediate length actions? Wink

Yes, but it is much easier for the layperson to identify that charger hump than it is to distinguish an intermediate from a standard.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Actually they are standard length and hole spacing but have an intermediate bolt. So, just measuring hole spacing tells you nothing.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From the reference post: (not mine)

I call this the Oberndorf intermediate action, as they are the only ones who produced it. Commonly encountered models include:
1903 Turk
1909 Peruvian
1935 Argentine
Oberndorf Commercial

The 1903 Turk and the 1909 Peruvian also share some other qualities. They both have a very high clip bridge, and a long curved arm on the ejector box that puts pressure on a stripper clip loaded into the receiver, holding it in place. The 1935 Argentine and the Oberndorf commercial action do not have this.
This type has a longer than normal receiver ring, and a longer than normal cocking piece, with a shorter than normal bolt body, hard to figure where the weight savings come in!
The Oberndorf commercial action was also available in a small ring version, all other dimensions identical.

Posts: 220 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote