Find
Notify
Tools

Quarter Rib on a Ruger 77 MKII RSML 416 Rigby
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hope someone can help me.

I have a Ruger 77 MKII RSML in 416 Rigby.

The gun has the 3 leaf sites and the quarter rib.

I've been thinking of rebarreling to something different.

My question deals with the rib and how it is attached to the barrel and the receiver.

When you view the rib from it's profile, you can see a distinct seam where the quarter rib, that's mounted on the barrel, meets the quarter rib, that is mounted to the receiver.

When you look down upon the quarter rib, where the 2 sections join, you can not see a decernible seam.

Is the rib 2 pieces that are soldered together where the barrel meets the receiver?

Or can the barrel be unscrewed from the receiver without twisting the rib in half?

Does anyone know?

Any insight to this would be truly appreciated.

------------------
Speak softly and carry a really big MAGNUM.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 396 | Location: North East Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

The quarter rib on the Ruger is integral with the barrel. Meaning that it is machined from an oversized barrel blank as part of the barrel and cannot be removed. A qualified smith should have no problem taking the barrel off without damaging the rib.
This is one of the reasons the Ruger Magnum rifle is an excellent value. A smith that has the facility and skill to mill an integral barrel will charge more to make the barrel than the entire Ruger costs!

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Inasmuch as the quarter rib on the Ruger is intregal, I suspect that the two parts are mated and that you simply unscrew the barrel and use the two sections to line up the barrel on return, however I would first call Ruger or perhaps Jim Brockman or John Ricks and double check on that as I have not worked on the Rugers.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41880 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<500 AHR>
posted
The receiver and the barrel ribs are integral to their respective components. In other words the only way they come off is to cut them off. It is my understanding the barrel is forged with the ribs (yes plural there is a second rib diametrically opposed to the one on top).

If you want to get rid of the receiver rib you will almost certainly get rid of the front scope mount as well (unless you are careful).

Have fun.

Todd E

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents,

Thanx for the speedy replies.

Guess that it just deosn't come easy does it?

Hmmmm . . . . I'll call Ruger and see if they want to disassemble their handy work.

------------------

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 396 | Location: North East Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
<500 AHR>
posted
The barrel unscrews just like any other. It is just the that the ribs do not come off.

Todd E

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray and Todd E are right.

Rays description is more succinct.

I have had the barrel of my Ruger Rigby off and back on. No solder exists where the rib meets the action on top. They are just a precise screw together flush fit.

------------------
RAB

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The barrel and quarter rib that is on the barrel are milled out of 1 piece of steel. However, there is a joint where the quarter rib joins the quarter rib on the action. This is not soldered. They textured the top of the rib (full length) after the barrel was screwed on, so the joint seemed to disappear. Simply unscrew it like any other barrel.

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All,

Thanx a ton!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's what I was hoping to hear.

Any opinion as to a 30-416 Rigby, 338-416 Rigby, or a 338 excaliber?

------------------

Regards,

Mark

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
It has been my experience that the Ruger barrels come off much easier that the rest.
The Ruger barrels are just not put on very tight. I've even had a few that almost came unscrewed from the weight if the action wrench along. My wrench has a 2 1/2 ft. handle1 1/4 OD really not that heavy.

------------------
Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<500 AHR>
posted
I am converting mine to 338 Lapua. 28.5" barrel. I suggest you fabricate a real action mounted recoil lug. My approach is simply the on used by Remington.

Todd E

one of us
posted Hide Post
All,

Again, thanx good info.

I'm going to have a Sako TGR-S in 338 lapua reamed to the Lazz 8.59 Titan.
All data shows that the Lazz will hold 10+ grs more water than the Lapua.

I'm thinking 338 Excaliber. Or perhaps a 300 Pegesus.

------------------

Regards,

Mark